PROPOSED PROPERTY TAX RATE FOR CITY OF HOUSTON
A tax rate of $0.638750 per $100 valuation has been proposed by the governing body of City of Houston. This rate exceeds the lower of the effective or rollback tax rate, and state law requires that two public hearings be held by the governing body before adopting the proposed tax rate. A third hearing is also required by Houston Code of Ordinances.
The governing body of City of Houston proposes to use revenue attributable to the tax rate increase for the purpose of Hurricane Harvey relief.
|PROPOSED TAX RATE||$0.638750 per $100|
|PRECEDING YEAR’S TAX RATE||$0.586420 per $100|
|EFEECTIVE TAX RATE||$0.600480 per $100|
|ROLLBACK TAX RATE||$0.666566 per $100|
The effective tax rate is the total tax rate needed to raise the same amount of property tax revenue for City of Houston from the same properties in both the 2016 tax year and the 2017 tax year.The rollback tax rate is the highest tax rate that City of Houston may adopt before voters are entitled to petition for an election to limit the rate that may be approved to the rollback rate.
YOUR TAXES OWED UNDER ANY OF THE ABOVE RATES CAN BE CALCULATED AS FOLLOWS:
property tax amount = (rate) x (taxable value of your property)/100
For assistance or detailed information about tax calculations, please contact:
Houston Code of Ordinances, Section 44-27, requires the City of Houston to publish an analysis of anticipated
increased revenues when the ad valorem tax rate proposed is expected to increase the City’s ad valorem
property tax revenues collected during the immediately preceding fiscal year.
|PRECEDING FISCAL YEAR
|CURRENT FISCAL YEAR
|Ad Valorem Property Tax||$1,153,822,602||$1,268,856,949||9.97%|
* Net of tax refunded for preceding years.
You are urged to attend and express your views at the following public hearings on the proposed tax rate:
- First Hearing: September 25, 2017 6:00PM at Houston City Council Chambers, Houston City Hall, 901 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002
- Second Hearing: October 2, 2017 6:00PM at Houston City Council Chambers, Houston City Hall, 901 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002
- Third Hearing: October 11, 2017 9:00AM at Houston City Council Chambers, Houston City Hall, 901 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002
- Active Incidents
- Administrative Policies
- City Charter
- City Employee Email Access
- Code of Ordinance
- Contact Us
- Departments and Directors
- Executive Orders
- Flags at Half Staff
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Internships Information
- Mayor's Policies
- Mobile Applications
- Photos of Houston
- Proposed Ordinance Feedback
- Public Information Requests
- Section 508 Compliance
- Social Media
- Website Survey