Administration and Regulatory Affairs
Boarding Homes Registration
Section 28-453 of the Code of Ordinances requires registration of the facility by any person (or interest) desiring to operate a boarding home within the City of Houston.
Registration overview: location must have an annual inspection by the Fire Marshal and show proof to Administration & Regulatory Affairs; owners and operators of the boarding home must pass a criminal history background check; applicants must provide documented ownership of the property or, if leased, authorization to use the property for a boarding home; and applicant must provide documented compliance of the facility and its operation with applicable City of Houston building, habitability and life safety standards.
- Boarding Home Registration Process & Application (updated November 2015)
- Chapter 28, Article XIV of the City of Houston Code of Ordinances (Boarding Homes) (updated November 2015)
- Map of Boarding Homes in City of Houston
- Houston Crisis Intervention Training Program -- www.houstoncit.org/boarding-homes
Permit Requirement Links
• Alcohol and Alcohol-Related Business • Antique Dealer, Precious Metal Dealer, Resale Media & Clothing Dealer • Boarding Homes • Burglar and Panic Alarms • Carnival • Charitable Solicitation • Coin-Operated Amusement Machine Decals • Common Market • Credit Access Business (Payday and Car Title Lenders) • Dance Halls • Game Rooms • Garage Sales / Yard Sales • Metal Recyclers • Mini-Warehouse • Second Hand Resellers • Sexually Oriented Businesses • Sexually Oriented Business Employees • Sound and Noise-Related Equipment • Street Vendors •