Administration and Regulatory Affairs
Garage Sales and Yard Sales Permitting
*** NOT REGULATED BY City of Houston
- There is no City of Houston "garage sale permit."
- The Office of the State Comptroller regulates sales of this type. Residents are allowed to have only two such sales within a twelve-month period. Any more than two and the resident is recognized as a business and must obtain a sales tax permit from the state.
- Residents should be aware that many subdivisions prohibit solicitation and commercial businesses within residential areas of a neighborhood, and such activity is often restricted.
- Residents seeking to operate a business from their homes must meet other city requirements, including obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy.
Permit Requirement Links
• Alcohol and Alcohol-Related Business • Antique Dealer, Precious Metal Dealer, Resale Media & Clothing Dealer • Boarding Homes • Burglar and Panic Alarms • Carnival • Charitable Solicitation • Coin-Operated Amusement Machine Decals • Common Market • Credit Access Business (Payday and Car Title Lenders) • Dance Halls • Game Rooms • Garage Sales / Yard Sales • Metal Recyclers • Mini-Warehouse • Second Hand Resellers • Sexually Oriented Businesses • Sexually Oriented Business Employees • Sound and Noise-Related Equipment • Street Vendors •