1002 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77002
Phone: 832.394.8803 | Fax: 832.395.9632
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Transportation Section is responsible for issuing licenses and permits to the operators and drivers of several different categories of vehicles-for-hire that include taxicabs, limousines, transportation network companies, private school vehicles, scheduled ground transportation, charter sightseeing vehicles, pedicabs and low-speed shuttles. The Transportation Section also performs field enforcement ensuring compliance by the drivers and operators of vehicles for hire.
Houston City Council approved amendments to Chapter 46, Vehicles for Hire, on August 6, 2014 in Ordinance 2014-754. Vehicle-for-Hire operators should refer to the appropriate city code for specific details and requirements for operations/services: Code of Ordinances, City of Houston.
Service Complaints (revised 08.05.2014)
If you have a complaint about a driver or company please complete the complaint affidavit (.pdf). The complaint affidavit must be completed and notarized before any administrative action can be taken against any driver. The form can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 832.395.9632.
** All Fees for vehicle for hire permits and licenses can be found on the City fee schedules. **
- For fee schedules, go to www.houstoncityfees.org
The City of Houston forms are .pdf documents, which require a FREE download of Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing. All forms were revised on January 29, 2010, unless otherwise noted. If you are looking for a form that is not listed please contact the Transportation Section at 832.394.8803. All proof of insurance for vehicle for hire permits MUST be submitted by the insurance agent on the State approved Accord 25 form.
- Vehicle-for-Hire Vehicle License/Permit (Non-Taxicab) Application Packet (updated 08.18.2014)
- Applicant Packet - COH Drivers License (updated 08.18.2014)
- Add / Drop Vehicles Form (updated 08.18.2014)
- Address Change Form
- Lost or Stolen City Drivers License Affidavit (updated 08.18.2014)
- Lost or Stolen Medallion/HLL Affidavit (updated 03.17.2014)
- School Vehicle Permitted Drivers List Form
- School Vehicle Schools List Form
- Taxi Study Guide (updated 07.22.2013)
DIRECTOR'S RULES & REGULATIONS - CH. 46
The City of Houston forms are .pdf documents, which require a FREE download of Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing and printing.
- VFH-001 - Temporary Licenses
- VFH-002 - Pedicab Policy - Colors
- VFH-003 - HLL Numbers
- VFH-004 - Payment Notification
- VFH-005 - Limo Driver Western Wear
- VFH-006 - Pending ...
- VFH-007 - Taxi Credit Card GPS Specs
VEHCILES FOR HIRE:
City of Houston issued Driver’s License:
Each person wishing to drive a Vehicle-for-Hire in the City of Houston must obtain a City issued Driver's License.
Taxicabs (click here for taxicab rates)
- City of Houston 2012 Taxicab Rate Study
- Vehicle Age Suspension Ordinance 2011-35 and Ordinance 2012-1113
Chauffeured Limousine Services (click here for limousine rates)
Sightseeing and Charter Services
Private School Vehicles
(16 passengers or greater must obtain the "Motor Carrier" license from the Texas Department of Transportation)
Jitneys (click here for jitney information)
Low Speed Shuttles
City of Houston Code of Ordinances - Chapter 8
Non Consent Tow Rates
Complaints: Contact Houston Police Department Auto Dealers