BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions
Shelter Updates During COVID-19
Guest and employees visitng City of Houston facilities will be required to wear face-coverings and undergo a no-touch thermometer temperature check beginning Monday, June 1, 2020.
In the interest of maximizing social distancing while continuing to provide opportunities for pet adoptions, wellness and other BARC services to the public, effective immediately, BARC is implementing the following procedural changes:
• Animal intake/ drop-off will be by appointment only starting Friday, April 10, 2020 and will be a drive-thru service only until further notice. If you would like to schedule an animal turn-in, please click here.
➤ We ask the community to assist by not picking any stray animals unless citizens are prepared to care for them at home.
➤ We also request that non-emergency, owner surrenders (i.e. turning in an owned pet) be postponed allowing BARC the resources to deal with emergency surrenders resulting from the current crisis.
➤ BARC is providing pet food and crates, as available, to all citizens to support them in keeping animals in their possession. Other resources are available as well upon request.
•Pet Adoptions is a curbside process located at 3300 Carr Street with newly extended hours from 10am-5pm. We are now offering Virtual Meet & Greets with adoptable pets via Zoom! To learn more about our current adoption process and view pets available for adoption click here.
• BARC's public Wellness Center for Pets has been temporarily closed and is not accepting appointments at this time. Refills for medications and preventatives that do not require updated weights or hands-on services are still available by appointment only Thursdays-Tuesdays. Please click here to schedule a Medication Refill appointment for your pet. (*Max limit is 2 pets per person)
• Foster Clinic services will be by appointment only. Available times are Thursday - Tuesday from noon – 4pm and will be a curbside service only until further notice. Please click here to schedule a Foster Clinic appointment.
• Lost Pets/ Return to Owners to recover lost pets, please park at 3200 Carr Street and walk into the shelter.
• Foster and Rescue Pick-up is a curbside service only for pre-selected pets and will be brought out to the customer’s vehicle.
• Volunteer Services have been temporarily suspended to protect our valuable volunteers and to allow for social distancing within the shelter.
• Bite Case/Rabies Quarantine will continue regularly scheduled service hours Monday - Sunday 9am – 12pm and 1pm – 4pm.
Please see our updated Hours of Operation for the most current addresses and hours.
Thank you for your patience and continued support; we apologize for any inconvenience these new measures may cause. We understand that the scheduling of appointments for customers at any given time may result in delays, but we ask for your patience and understanding as we do everything, we can to maintain the health and safety of our customers, our employees, and the animals in our care.