BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions
Donate to BARC
A huge thanks to our biggest sponsor, Proler Southwest/Sims Metal Management. They have truly made a difference for the lives of Houston’s homeless animals!
Donate to the capital campaign for the new BARC adoption building by visiting www.HoustonBARCFoundation.org.
Donate to BARC Animal Shelter by visiting here.
BARC consistently runs at maximum capacity, sometimes we take in over 150 animals a day. In addition to our volunteers who generously donate their time and fosters who open their homes to help an animal, we rely heavily on donations to stretch our shelter budget. Your donations help us continue to evolve our shelter operations and grow our adoption programs.
Every dollar, every gift that you give, helps to increase the chances that healthy, adoptable animals at BARC will find permanent homes with loving families. Please donate to BARC now.
Monetary and In-Kind tax deductible gifts may be made in person or mailed to the BARC facility at:
Houston TX 77026
Donations in the form of personal checks, cashier's checks and money orders may be made out to "Houston BARC Foundation". The Houston BARC Foundation is a 501c3, which dedicates all donations made to BARC exclusively to better the lives of BARC animals and to expand special programs. Your generous gift is tax deductible, and receipts will be provided upon request.
Donate Your Birthday to the Animals!
We’ve had some great Houstonians donate their birthday gifts to the animals at BARC by requesting their party-goers to bring supplies from our specific items list, which help us provide better care for the animals. If you would like to donate your birthday gifts, please be sure that your friends include their return addresses so that we can send them thank you letters on behalf of the shelter. We appreciate all of the support that Houstonians continue to provide and we thank you for your generosity.
Here are some specific items to donate:
Specific Items Needed
It is due to the kindness and caring of people like you that we can continue to work towards achieving our mission. Your donations help us continue to evolve our shelter operations, and grow our adoption and foster programs. Every dollar, every gift and donation that you give, helps to increase the chances that animals at BARC will find permanent homes with loving families.
BARC is always in need of the following items (immediate needs are in red). All donations must be unexpired and unopened to be usable:
- Dog and cat treats
- Dawn dishwashing liquid
- Kong toys, and other sturdy, washable dog toys (clean and unused) - Frisbees, for example
- Natural rawhide chews
- Unopened, unexpired peanut butter
- Tough, empty plastic bottles such as detergent or bleach bottles
- Liquid fabric softener
- Clean towels
- Clean pet beds
- Tennis balls & rope toys with tennis balls attached
- Wand-type, interactive cat toys
- Washable, plastic, ball-type cat toys
- Dryer sheets
- Air freshener
- Paper bags
- Odoban (buy at Home Depot)
- Fabuloso (buy at any grocery store)
- New unopened rubbing alcohol
- New unopened hydrogen peroxide
Foster Care Needs:
- Dry Dog, Cat, Kitten, or Puppy Food (unopened)
- Kitten and puppy nursing bottles
- Kitten Milk Replacer (KMR) & Puppy Milk Replacer (Esbilac)
- Canned and dry cat and dog food (unopened)
- Canned and dry kitten and puppy food (unopened)
- Crates & pet carriers (clean & serviceable)
- New, unopened dog and cat treats
- Advantage flea and tick medicine
- Capstar flea and tick medicine
- Cat litter and litter boxes
- Sulfur shampoo
- Leashes and collars
- Nail grooming equipment
- Dog & cat brushes
Facility Beautification Needs:
- Pooper-scoopers and/or large commercial dust pans
- A-frame Ladders (6 ft., 8 ft., 10 ft., or 12 ft – new or used)
- Large containers for plants
- Garden stepping stones
Classroom & Administrative Needs:
- Crayons, colored pencils, and markers for kids projects at the shelter
- Construction paper
- Scissors and staplers
- Laminating sheets
- Paper plates
- Dry-erase markers
- Digital cameras and flip cams for pet photography & videography
Drop Off / Contact
Drop off all donations at the BARC Front Desk (3200 Carr Steet) during normal shelter hours: 12-6pm every day except for Mondays & Thursdays. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Does Your Dollar Make a Difference?
BARC is a government agency, so our basic services are paid for with tax dollars. However, we always strive to provide more than basic service, and we rely on donations to make extra programs and resources available to our human and animal customers.
Your dollars, combined with all the other dollars donated by caring and concerned animal groups and advocates help add additional funding to enhance our shelter operations. Spay/neuter clinics, emergency care services, pet adoption service fees, licensing processes, and the day-to-day life of our animals are all made better by your donations.
Other Ways to Help BARC
Do you or your organization have a special skill you think might benefit BARC?
BARC is always in need of photographers, videographers, printing services and other specialized services. If you would like to inquire about donating your or your organization’s time and service to BARC, please email email@example.com.