What to do if you've lost a Pet
BARC Animal Shelter and Adoptions is committed to reuniting lost pets with their owners as quickly as possible. In the event your pet is lost, take A.C.T.I.O.N. with BARC.
- Anticipate. Take important preventative measures before your pet is lost. Microchip your pet. Get a pet license. Spay or neuter your pet to suppress their instinct to roam and reduce their chances of leaving home. Also ensure that all fences, gates and patios are secure to keep your pet from escaping.
- Contact BARC. Call 3-1-1. Email BARCLostPets@houstontx.gov, search our website, and post a photo on our Facebook page. As Houstonís animal control authority, BARC is required to accept any animal brought to us. Other local shelters are not required to do this and typically refer all lost and stray animals to us first.
- Take Control. Stay Calm. Get organized. Have a photo and description of your pet, their last known location, and their microchip number handy.
- Investigate like a Detective. Create flyers. Ask Neighbors. Search within a two mile radius day and night. Remember, cats will not generally venture far from home and dogs generally travel into the oncoming wind.
- Online Pet Harbor Registration. Visit www.PetHarbor.com to search for your pet, register to get daily emails with photos of found pets in the area, or send ďlost petĒ postcards to neighbors and surrounding areas.
- Never Give Up. This is a big one. Your pet wants to go home as much as you want him to. Keep looking and donít lose hope. You never know when you or one of your neighbors will spot your pet!
BARCís hope is that all lost pets are reunited with their owners and we work to ensure finding a lost pet is as streamlined as possible.
If an Animal Control Officer finds your pet, and your pet is wearing a current license tag on its collar, Animal Services will attempt to contact you via phone or mail. If another citizen finds your pet with its license tag, they can call the toll-free number on the tag. A staff member from BARC will attempt to contact you to let you know who has found your pet.
If your pet has been lost, BARC urges you to visit the shelter as soon as possible to look for your pet. The shelter is located at 3200 Carr St. in Houston.
- Pet Harbor
- Citizens for Animal Protection
- Houston Area Animal Shelters
- Houston Chronicle Lost Pets
- Pet Finder
- Pet Club
- Craigs List
- Find Fido
- The Greensheet
- Houston Community Newspapers
- Help Me Find My Pet
- Fido Finder
The service provider links below are provided solely for your information - BARC does not endorse or partner with any of these services, nor do we vouch for their effectiveness.