About Licensing | Fees | How to License

AdoptHow to License Your Pet

How Do I License My Pet?

You can license your pet in 3 ways: online, via mail or in person at the BARC shelter. You will need the following paperwork:

  1. A rabies vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian must be submitted. An invoice or statement of services is not sufficient as proof of rabies vaccination. Check your certificate for correct owner name, address, and pet information.
  2. A spay/neuter certificate
  3. If you are applying for a Certified Assistance Altered Pet License for the first time, please provide a copy of the certification papers for your pet.

Online License Purchase

Ready to purchase your license? Any required documents, such as your pet's current rabies certificate, may be scanned and uploaded or submitted later by fax, mail or email. The license will be issued after all required documents are received. Begin at http://www.licensepet.com/houston.

By Mail

Please mail all required documentation, along with your check or money order payable to "B.A.R.C." to the address below. Please do not send cash. Please send copies of your paperwork and retain the originals for your records. Copies will not be returned with your license receipt.

City of Houston Pet Licensing
PO Box 2649
Houston, TX 77252

In Person

You can also license and renew your pet license in person at the BARC shelter via cash or check. Click here for shelter hours and address.

Breeder Application

If you are applying for a license to be a breeder, you can download the application here(pdf).