The Office of Business Opportunity has partnered again with Houston Community College to launch the 5th Cohort of Build Up Houston in September 2019. Build Up Houston is a comprehensive, seven month program designed to increase the capacity and success of small businesses in the construction service industry with doing business in the City of Houston. Build Up Houston utilizes curriculum provided by Interise, a non-profit organization, focused on helping established small business owners take their companies to the next level for continual growth and success. Interise has an award-winning curriculum that was developed and refined by working hand-in-hand with small business owners and national business experts. Interise has established themselves as a proven leader in educating and training established business owners to grow their businesses.
Build Up Houston
Build Up Houston is designed to combine the best of classroom learning with real-world case studies, including the one most important to you: your own business. Construction industry experts, business peers, and instructors provide insights, strategies, motivation, and accountability. It’s an interactive format, where you get the tools, know-how, and confidence to take the next step. Build Up Houston will run from September 2019 until April 2020. During that time, you can expect to learn about:
- Business Development Strategies
- Strategic Planning
- Estimating and Bidding
- Finance and Financial Management
- Bonding and Insurance
- Marketing and Sales
- Human Resources
- Accessing Capital
- Government Contracts
- Project Management
Program Length: 7 Months
- Class sessions: Tuesdays every other week, from 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Class location: Houston Community College, Central Campus, 1300 Holman Street, Houston, TX 77004
Congratulations to our 2018 graduates of the Build Up Houston Program:
- Alex Dawotola | Heneco Engineering and Consulting, LLC
- Bobbye Mills | Bobbye Joyner-Mills, Inc.
- Callie Bletsch | MBCO Engineering, LLC
- Casey Simien | GCI Solutions, LLC
- Charles Mgbeike | APEX Consulting Group, Inc.
- Gina Diaz | GCI Solutions, LLC
- Hui Chang | H T & J, LLC
- Joseph Taylor | D.C.T. Imaging
- Lianne Lami | Bocci Engineering, LLC
- Olusola Dosunmu | Dominion Engineering Management Services
2017 Build Up Houston Graduates:
- Johnny Hollins | J.G. Hollins Investment
- Jorge A. Mancilla | Gutier LLC
- Vladimir Naranjo | PMG Project Management Group, LLC
- Anthony Ndah | Noble Construction Co.| A division of Atlantic Petroleum
- Janet Pena | Coastal Supplies and Services
- Wayne Rodick | Coastal Hydraulics
2015-2016 Build Up Houston Graduates:
- Robert Adams - Robert Adams, Inc.
- Tony Batista - Floors 2 Luv, LLC
- Mo Fatany - Veteran Supply and Manufacturing
- Francis Foyeku - ADVACS, Inc. Facilities Maintenance and Construction Support Services
- Terry Sowells - SCMU, Inc.
- Fernando Vivas - Vivas Contractors, Inc.
- Edison Williams - Williams Tunneling Industries Inc.
2014-2015 Build Up Houston Inaugural Class
- Roque Campos -- Onnea Equipment, LLC
- Cathy French -- Gennoa French Enterprises Inc. DBA Lone Star Underground Utility Contractor
- Luis Guerra -- Texas Pride Utilities, LLC
- John C. Higgins -- Neutex Advanced Energy Group Inc.
- Wanda Johnson -- CandCNET Associates Inc.
- Alicia B. Jimerson -- Jimerson Underground Inc.
- Carol MacNeil -- Genesis Cabling Solutions, LLC
- Hilton Middleton -- MUI Services, LLC
- Hemendra Patel -- Texas Concrete Enterprise Ready Mix Inc.
- Victor Washington -- Washington & Sons AC and Heating, LLC
Interise is the premier organization for established small businesses interested in growth. Interise seeks to fill a gap in small business economic development by serving established small businesses in order to promote job creation, local wealth generation, and community building. More than 2,500 entrepreneurs across the country have completed Interise’s StreetWise ‘MBA’™ curriculum with extraordinary results. In 2013, graduates of the program grew their businesses by an average of 39% and created jobs at 5X the rate of the private sector as a whole. More information can be found at www.interise.org.
Houston Community College
Houston Community College (HCC) is composed of 13 Centers of Excellence and numerous satellite centers that serve the diverse communities in the Greater Houston area by preparing individuals to live and work in an increasingly international and technological society. HCC is one of the country’s largest singly-accredited, open-admission, community colleges offering associate degrees, certificates, workforce training, and lifelong learning opportunities. To learn more, visit www.hccs.edu.