Build Up Houston
Build Up Houston is designed to combine the best of classroom learning with real-world case studies, including the one most important to you: your own business. Construction industry experts, business peers, and instructors provide insights, strategies, motivation, and accountability. It’s an interactive format, where you get the tools, know-how, and confidence to take the next step. Build Up Houston will run from November 2016 until May 2017. During that time, you can expect to learn about:
- Business Development Strategies
- Strategic Planning
- Estimating and Bidding
- Finance and Financial Management
- Bonding and Insurance
- Marketing and Sales
- Human Resources
- Accessing Capital
- Government Contracts
- Project Management
Program Length: 7 Months
- Total in-class time: 40 hours
- Overall program time: 92 – 100+ hours
- Total CEO Mentoring Group time: 12 hours
- Class sessions: Tuesdays every other week, from 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Class location: Houston Community College, Central Campus, 1300 Holman Street, Houston, TX 77004
Congratulations to our 2015-2016 graduates of the Build Up Houston Program:
- Robert Adams - Robert Adams, Inc.
- Tony Batista - Floors 2 Luv, LLC
- Mo Fatany - Veteran Supply and Manufacturing
- Francis Foyeku - ADVACS, Inc. Facilities Maintenance and Construction Support Services
- Terry Sowells - SCMU, Inc.
- Fernando Vivas - Vivas Contractors, Inc.
- Edison Williams - Williams Tunneling Industries Inc.
2014-2015 Build Up Houston Inaugural Class
- Roque Campos -- Onnea Equipment, LLC
- Cathy French -- Gennoa French Enterprises Inc. DBA Lone Star Underground Utility Contractor
- Luis Guerra -- Texas Pride Utilities, LLC
- John C. Higgins -- Neutex Advanced Energy Group Inc.
- Wanda Johnson -- CandCNET Associates Inc.
- Alicia B. Jimerson -- Jimerson Underground Inc.
- Carol MacNeil -- Genesis Cabling Solutions, LLC
- Hilton Middleton -- MUI Services, LLC
- Hemendra Patel -- Texas Concrete Enterprise Ready Mix Inc.
- Victor Washington -- Washington & Sons AC and Heating, LLC
Interise is the premier organization for established small businesses interested in growth. Interise seeks to fill a gap in small business economic development by serving established small businesses in order to promote job creation, local wealth generation, and community building. More than 2,500 entrepreneurs across the country have completed Interise’s StreetWise ‘MBA’™ curriculum with extraordinary results. In 2013, graduates of the program grew their businesses by an average of 39% and created jobs at 5X the rate of the private sector as a whole. More information can be found at www.interise.org.
Houston Community College
Houston Community College (HCC) is composed of 13 Centers of Excellence and numerous satellite centers that serve the diverse communities in the Greater Houston area by preparing individuals to live and work in an increasingly international and technological society. HCC is one of the country’s largest singly-accredited, open-admission, community colleges offering associate degrees, certificates, workforce training, and lifelong learning opportunities. To learn more, visit www.hccs.edu.
Apply for Build Up Houston
- Interested in applying? Contact Will Norwood, Program Manager, at email@example.com or 832.393.0935
- The program’s tuition fee is $1,500 per participant. Scholarships are available for qualifying companies.
- Program starts January 31, 2017
- January 30, 2017 Press Release (.html)
- September 10, 2015 Press Release (.html)
- November 5, 2014 Press Release (.html)
Criteria / Who Should Apply
- Applicant must be the owner or co-owner of business
- Business must be certified with the City of Houston (MWSBE, DBE, PDBE, ACDBE)
- Business operating a minimum of three years
- Business has a minimum of four employees
- Business has a minimum of $250,000 annual revenue
- Business must be in the construction industry
Who should apply?
- Companies who have previously worked on City of Houston projects who are looking to expand their potential opportunities
- Companies that have had success with other agencies and are also wanting to do business with the City of Houston
- Business owners wanting to manage their growth, focusing on relevant, real-world and applied learning.
For more information about Build Up Houston and/or sponsorship opportunities, please contact Will Norwood, Business Development Manager at 832.393.0935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.