Build Up Houston
Build Up Houston is designed to combine the best of classroom learning with real-world case studies, including the one most important to you: your own business. Construction industry experts, business peers, and instructors provide insights, strategies, motivation, and accountability. It’s an interactive format, where you get the tools, know-how, and confidence to take the next step. Build Up Houston will run from October 2015 until April 2016. During that time, you can expect to learn about:
- Business Development Strategies
- Strategic Planning
- Estimating and Bidding
- Finance and Financial Management
- Bonding and Insurance
- Marketing and Sales
- Human Resources
- Accessing Capital
- Government Contracts
- Project Management
Program Length: 7 Months
- Total in-class time: 40 hours
- Overall program time: 92 – 100+ hours
- Total CEO Mentoring Group time: 12 hours
- Class sessions: Tuesdays every other week, from 5:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Class location: UHD College of Business, 320 North Main Street Houston, TX 77002
Congratulations to our graduates of the 2014-2015 Build Up Houston program
- Roque Campos -- Onnea Equipment, LLC
- Cathy French -- Gennoa French Enterprises Inc. DBA Lone Star Underground Utility Contractor
- Luis Guerra -- Texas Pride Utilities, LLC
- John C. Higgins -- Neutex Advanced Energy Group Inc.
- Wanda Johnson -- CandCNET Associates Inc.
- Alicia B. Jimerson -- Jimerson Underground Inc.
- Carol MacNeil -- Genesis Cabling Solutions, LLC
- Hilton Middleton -- MUI Services, LLC
- Hemendra Patel -- Texas Concrete Enterprise Ready Mix Inc.
- Victor Washington -- Washington & Sons AC and Heating, LLC
University of Houston - Downtown
The University of Houston – Downtown (UHD) is a publicly-supported, urban university located in Houston's central business district. Since opening its doors in 1974, UHD has grown in mission and service, and now offers baccalaureate degrees in 44 areas and seven master's degree programs. It is considered one of the most ethnically diverse liberal arts institutions in the southwest, a distinction that indicates the student body accurately reflects the Houston community's wealth of cultures, languages and nationalities. Visit www.uhd.edu for more information.
Interise is the premier organization for established small businesses interested in growth. Interise seeks to fill a gap in small business economic development by serving established small businesses in order to promote job creation, local wealth generation, and community building. More than 2,500 entrepreneurs across the country have completed Interise’s StreetWise ‘MBA’™ curriculum with extraordinary results. In 2013, graduates of the program grew their businesses by an average of 39% and created jobs at 5X the rate of the private sector as a whole. More information can be found at www.interise.org.
Apply for Build Up Houston
Criteria / Who Should Apply
- Applicant must be the owner or co-owner of business
- Business must be certified with the City of Houston (MWSBE, DBE, PDBE, ACDBE)
- Business operating a minimum of three years
- Business has a minimum of four employees
- Business has a minimum of $250,000 annual revenue
- Business must be in the construction industry
Who should apply?
- Companies who previously work on City of Houston projects looking to expand opportunities
- Companies that has had success in with other agencies wanting to do business with the City of Houston
- Business owners wanting to manage their growth focusing on relevant, real-world, applied learning.
For more information about Build Up Houston and/or sponsorship opportunities, please contact Will Norwood, Business Development Manager at 832.393.0935 or email@example.com.