March 10, 2016
Burglary of a Motor Vehicle Prevention Rodeo
Rodeo Houston is here! The Houston Police Department would like for everyone to have a great time when they visit but would like to share a few tips to prevent thieves from breaking into your car while you are enjoying the rodeo fun.
- Prior to leaving home remove any extra items such as laptops, book bags and weapons from your vehicle. Leave these things at home. Make it appear your vehicle is empty, especially if you plan to park at remote parking facilities (bus or train lots). A vehicle is a method of transportation NOT A SECURE LOCATION for your valuables.
- Always carry your driver's license or identification card along with a limited amount of credit cards/debit cards. Avoid carrying extra credit cards and avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Women should consider wearing a small purse across their body to keep their hands free, especially if you have small children.
- If you plan on attending with children and you become separated, teach them to know they can ask a police officer for help.
- Park as close to your destination as possible and pay close attention to where you parked in the lot.
- Stay alert while you are walking to and from your car. Talking or texting on your phone or digging in your purse for your keys while walking is a distraction and you could be an easy target.
- Be just as vigilant about your surroundings during the daylight hours. A crime can occur at any time.