February 27, 2012
Nominations for Mayor's 2012 Volunteer Houston Awards: Deadline Wednesday, February 29, 2012
The Mayor's Office of the City of Houston, in partnership with Volunteer Houston, and Shell Oil Company, is proud to honor outstanding Houston volunteers through the Mayor's Volunteer Houston Awards. Nominations are open to individuals and groups who have performed exceptional volunteer service. Each year Mayor Annise Parker recognizes several key volunteers in the Houston area and honors those who stand out for their service to the community at a luncheon ceremony, to be held this year on May 10, 2012.
Nominations are being accepted in the following categories:
- Animal Welfare - supporting the physical and psychological well being of animals;
- Arts & Recreation - supporting cultural and performing arts programs. Support for recreational activities and sports activities for all ages
- Civic & Community Development - benefiting neighborhoods, parks and open spaces. Initiatives that encourage economic opportunities and community development
- Education - supporting educational programs and activities
- Environmental & Wildlife Preservation - improving the natural environment. Protection of wildlife and their environment
- Health- supporting health care, health education or wellness
- Human Service Delivery - supporting individuals/groups with essential basic services
- Military & Veteran Services - supporting men and women (and their families) in active service and veterans
- Student Service - Recognizing individuals less than 21 years of age who serve and inspire others in the community
- Youth - benefiting activities and programs designed for youth
In addition, the 2012 Volunteer Houston Awards will introduce a new category, the Lifetime Achievement Award, to honor the outstanding service of an individual who has enhanced the delivery of service in the Houston community. Nominees should demonstrate a minimum of 15 years of serving and engaging others in service.
Visit 2012 Nomination Form - Electronic Application for the nomination form.
Note that the deadline is midnight Wednesday February 29, 2012.
For questions, visit the City of Houston Volunteer Initiatives Program at https://www.houstontx.gov/volunteer,
email email@example.com or call Volunteer Houston at 713.964.0215.