- Location: Houston Zoo -- Near the main entrance
- Number: 0021
- Artist: Armstrong, Ann
- Title: The Great Adventure (Dolly's Ride)
- Date: 1994
- Type: Sculpture
- Medium: Girl: Bronze, Tortoise: Kellstone
- Foundry/Fabricator: Artist
- Location/Environment: Houston Zoo, Outdoors
- Provenance: Donated to the Houston Zoo by the First Houston Doll Club
The First Houston Doll Club donated the Great Adventure to the Houston Zoo in 1994.
The Great Adventure is a life-sized figurative sculpture made from both bronze (the girl) and a composite stone material (the tortoise).
This bronze sculpture realistically depicts a small girl that is holding a rag-doll and sitting on top of a striding tortoise. The piece rests on a concrete pad, which was provided by the Houston Zoo.
The plaque on the base reads as follows:
For the children of Houston from the First Houston Doll Club, 1994.Restoration / Conservation
This sculpture is maintained annually.
ZIP Code Links
Hermann Park / Zoo Links
African Elephant • Atropos Key • Cancer, There Is Hope • Dolly's Ride • Dick Dowling • George Hermann • George Hermann Fountain • Kugel Ball • Moonscape Bench • Oliver Twist • Pioneer Memorial • Portable Trojan Bear • Sam Houston