Points of View
- Number: 0007
- Artist: Surls, James (1943 - )
- Title: Points of View
- Date: 1991, Dedicated 1992
- Type: Sculpture
- Medium: Sculpture: wood (pine) and steel
- Dimensions: Sculpture: 25' x 8' x 4' Base: 3" x 54"
- Foundry/Fabricator: Unknown
- Location/Environment: Market Square Park, Outdoors
- Provenance: Department of Parks and Recreation, Diverse Works, Downtown Houston Association and James Surls
James Surls has played an important role in the Houston art community. He taught at the University of Houston's School of Art, was the founding director of UH's Lawndale Art and Performance Center and was the organizer of the FIRE! Exhibition, which included works by 100 Texas artists. Surl's work can be seen in many collections and exhibitions around the United States.
Points of View was installed as part of the Market Square Park renovation in 1991-1992.
Points of View is an abstract sculpture made of treated pine and painted steel and is mounted on a concrete base.
The sculpture rises from its base on five metal legs that merge to form spirals from which planks made of pine relate to the form of a pinecone. Twenty-five elongated, wooden planks protrude from the bottom and top of the spiral form. The protrusions at the bottom project out in a parallel direction, while the protrusions at the top project upward.
Click each photo below for full-sized versions
ZIP Code Links
Downtown (P to W) Links
Pair of Horses • Paley Stairway Sculptures • Planter and Stems I • Planter and Stems II • Points of View • Quilting Party • Seven Wonders • Sounds of the Past • Sweeney Clock • Synchonicity of Color • Water Screen • Water Table • Wayfinding Sign • Wortham Fountains