Mayor Sylvester Turner addressing the crowd
The Kick-Off celebrated Mayor Sylvester Turner’s Complete Communities initiative in Third Ward. The organizations that have created community plans within the last 1-2 years presented those plans, highlighted vision and goals, and discussed several of the highest priorities. Residents, non-profits, businesses, religious institutions, educators and others provided input on who would be the best partners to facilitate projects. The City recognizes that they may not be the only entity to make project ideas become reality. It takes the cooperation of other government agencies, non-profit groups, funders, foundations, and citizens like you. The next step is to compile all comments and begin drafting an Action Plan.
The following plans and studies were conducted by community organizations serving Third Ward. They were created in collaboration with all aspects of the community. The community’s vision for the future was captured in various ways including public meetings, door-to-door surveys, focus groups and interviews.
- ECDP Policy Landscape Report 2017
- MIT CoLab Emancipation Neighborhood: Strategies for Community-Led Regeneration in the Third Ward (2016)
- MIT CoLab Recommendations for Democratic Engagement: Shared Ownership and Wealth Generation in Houston’s Third Ward (2015)
- Northern Third Ward Neighborhood Planning Project (NTWNPP) (2017)
- Third Ward Community Needs Assessment (2017)
Hear the voices of residents explain what they like best about Third Ward.
HTV recording of the kick-off meeting
All public meetings were recorded by HTV. You can view them from this site and click “Specialty".Handouts and Meeting Materials
- Meeting Agenda
- Complete Communities FAQs
- Complete Communities Planning Process
- Third Ward Complete Community Data Snapshot
- Third Ward Complete Community Data Book
- Third Ward Complete Community Summary of Existing Plans
- What Can Partners Do Exercise
- coming soon
The next public meeting will be scheduled soon. Visit here often or sign up for email newsletters.
Maps, Data and Statistics
Complete Communities Links