City Jail Information
What to do if I want to get someone released from jail
First you will need to visit the HPD Jail website at http://mycity.houstontx.gov/jails or call the Houston Help Line at 713.837.0311 to ensure the person is in fact in the City of Houston Jail. A representative from the Houston Help Line can also provide the amount the prisoner owes and/or the bond amount.
- If a person is arrested on city charges i.e., new charges, warrants, or capias pro fines (fines that have not been paid), that person can be released in one of several ways. A person may post a cash bond. This means that a person places a certain amount of cash with the city to guarantee that he/she will appear at the next court setting.
- If a person does not appear at the next setting after posting a cash bond, then all the money that was posted will be forfeited to the city. If a person appears and is found not guilty or has his/her cases dismissed then all the bond money will be refunded. A person may post a surety bond. This is done by contacting a bonding company who, for a fee, puts up a bond which guarantees that a person will appear at the next court date. The City of Houston has nothing to do with the contract between a defendant and the bonding company. The bonding company normally charges a fee for each bond posted.
- A person may request to be released on personal bond. Whether or not a person is released on personal bond is entirely up to the judge. Factors that are considered by the judge are: the type of charge, the defendant's ties to the community, and whether or not the arrest resulted from warrants for failure to appear in court.
- Once a person appears before a judge and pleads guilty or is found guilty, he/she may request a deferred payment. A deferred payment means that a person is given time to pay his/her fine.
It is important to remember that a person must dispose of all his/her cases before he/she can be released.
Where can I post a bond?
- Bonds can be posted at the Herbert W. Gee Municipal Courthouse, 1400 Lubbock Street (1st floor, Jail Bonding Window), Houston, TX 77002. Jail Bonding is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.