HFD Fire Station No. 6
Houston Fire Station #6
History of Fire Station 6
Mechanic #6 company was organized in 1873 and was located at the juncture of Washington and Preston Streets which is now just east of the central post office.
The fire station actually sat on what is known as Bagby Street today. Mechanic #6 was made up of men who were just that-mechanics. They were known for two things: they loved to fight fire but they also loved to have fistfights, especially with the men from Stonewall #3.
This competition produced a tradition of skullduggery which lasts right on into the millennium of today. Mechanic #6 was located at the intersections of Washington and Preston 1895, 1903 at Washington and Ash Place, 1931 at Henderson and Decatur, and in 1987 relocated at Washington and Lakin.