The primary functions of the Mayor's Office of Government Relations are:
- Advising the Mayor, City Council and City departments on current developments in the Texas Legislature, and the United States Congress that might affect the City of Houston.
- Building and maintaining relationships between the City of Houston and elected/appointed state and federal officials.
- Leading the lobbying efforts in the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress on behalf of the City.
- Coordinating with departments to develop legislative proposals that will enhance the ability to meet City of Houston needs.
- Working with the departments on matters before state and federal agencies.
- Promoting regional cooperation issues impacting local governments throughout the Houston/Galveston area.
- Participating in nongovernmental organizations to advance City of Houston issues, policies and funding requests.
- United States Congress --
- United States Conference of Mayors --
- National League of Cities -- http://www.nlc.org/home
- Texas Legislature Online -- http://www.capitol.state.tx.us
- Texas Municipal League -- http://www.tml.org/home.html
- Houston Area Elected Officials --
- Greater Houston Partnership -- http://www.houston.org
- Houston- Galveston Area Council --
Bill Kelly, Director
Houston, TX 77002