Houston Health Department
- Photos from the Grandparent Expo held at DePelchin Children's Center, September 9, 2011
- Adult Protective Services Conference, November 2011, San Antonio, TX
- Workshops to help seniors, disabled community find local resources
- Mayor Parker announces new low cost prescription program
- Congratulations to Ms. Beverly Brownlow: Recipient of the Joseph C. Valley 2010 Community Advocate of the Year Award
- Harris County Area Agency on Aging Area Plan Fiscal Years 2011 - 2013
- Free WorkShop for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities English Spanish
- Conversations with Caregivers - information and slide show
- To obtain a FREE copy of The Book of Alzheimer’s for African American Churches, click here
- Aging Agenda for Houston-Harris County - Moving Toward an Elder Friendly Future
The Agency's special projects include:
- Older Americans Month: This month is dedicated to the older adult and is highlighted by various activities throughout May.
- Ho.M.E. (Houston's Meals for the Elderly): Private sector funding of a supplementary meal program for the homebound elderly, serving meals on holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Texas Silver-Haired Legislature: Five representatives from Harris County are elected by their peers (over age 60). Prior to each state legislative session, 116 Silver-Haired Legislators from throughout Texas meet to debate and prioritize issues to be addressed by state lawmakers.
For more information, call the Harris County Area Agency on Aging at 832-393-4301. If outside Harris County, please call toll free 1-800-213-8471.
Long-term care federal/state special project
The Long-Term Care Awareness Campaign, “Own Your Future”, is a project to increase consumer awareness about the need to plan ahead for long-term care. The Campaign is a unique partnership between the federal government – HHS agencies including the Administration on Aging (AoA), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE) – and the states. To date, successful campaigns have been launched in 8 states that provide tools and information to help individuals make the best choices for their potential long-term care needs. The Campaign is currently planning a next phase, Phase III, which will include additional state campaigns and an expanded consumer website for long term care information.
For more information, go to
www.aoa.gov/ownyourfuture or call 866-PLAN-LTC or 866-752-6582.
For more information, call the Harris County Area Agency on Aging at 832-393-4301. If outside Harris County, call toll free 1-800-213-8471. The HCAAA's main office is located at 8000 North Stadium Drive, 3rd floor, Houston, TX 77054. Click here for a map. Our email address is email@example.com.