Houston Health Department
Bureau of Vital Statistics — Birth and Death Certificates
The Houston Health Department Bureau of Vital Statistics maintains records of births, deaths, and fetal deaths that occur in Harris County, Texas. Our core functions include records retention, serving as a liaison to the state, funeral home relations and providing birth and death certificates to the general public. Birth records are available from 1882, death records from 1874, and fetal death records from 1906.
Outside of Harris County, Texas
- For records outside of Harris County but inside Texas, visit Texas Health and Human Services.
- For records outside of Texas, visit the National Center for Health Statistics.
How to apply online for a certificate
How to apply in person for a Birth or death Certificate
Apply for birth and death certificates in person:
8000 North Stadium Drive
Houston, Texas 77054
What to bring with you
The application form is also available in our lobby. Eligibility and restrictions are listed on this form.
This form includes a list of acceptable forms of identification.
Fees and Payment methods
- Fees are listed on the application form
- Cash, Mastercard, Visa, or Discovery (checks not accepted)
- Parking is available in the adjacent garage at 8059 Stadium Drive
- Parking fee: $4
- We are not responsible if you receive a parking ticket or are towed for parking illegally on the street or in the hotel parking lot next door.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to your questions on ordering online, birth certificates and birth-verification letters, death certificates and death-verification letters, marriage-verification and divorce-verification letters.
How to order vital records from Texas Health and Human Services
- Order vital records online from Texas.gov — Birth certificates and death certificates, birth-verification and death-verification letters, and marriage-verification and divorce-verification letters.
- Dowload vital statistics forms at Texas Health and Human Services — Birth or death record forms, birth or death record amendment forms, marriage or divorce record forms, adoption forms, and paternity or parentage forms.