- Approximately 4,000 public and semi-public swimming pools/spas exist within the incorporated limits of the City of Houston
- The Houston Department of Health and Human Services regulates public pools/spas; compliance with City Ordinance Chapter 43 is assessed through annual inspections
- HDHHS responds to complaints concerning improperly maintained swimming pools/spas
- HDHHS reviews and regulates all new commercial
swimming pool/spa constructions to ensure compliance with State Design Standards for public pools/spas
- For fee schedules, go to http://www.houstontx.gov/finance/feeschedule/
- Two (2) complete sets of plans with specifications
- Plans must be drawn to scale and scale noted on plan
- Include top view and side view of pool and spa with appropriate measurements
- Show size and type of filter and pump
- Show location of pump and filter in relation to pool/spa
- Show total number of gallons
- Note surface area of pool/spa in square feet
- Include the name and address of pool/spa location
- Indicate the size and type of piping with schematic, drawn to scale
Fees and Obtaining an Operating Permit
Annual Permit Fee: $142.73 plus $26.42 administrative fee
Permit Replacement Fee: $26.42
Late Permit Fee: $52.85
Plan Review Fee: $142.73 plus $26.42 administrative fee
Pool Reinspection Fee: $174.44.32 plus $26.42 administrative fee
Final Preopening Fee: $132.15 plus $26.42 administrative fee
Complete Application and submit payment to:
City of Houston
Department of Health and Human Services
8000 North Stadium Drive
Consumer Health, 2nd Floor
Houston, TX 77054
Commercial pools/spas must be in kept in good working condition and meet inspection requirements all year round. Neglect and non-compliance with City regulations creates hazardous conditions. Violations of the requirements listed can result in fines ranging $250 to $2000 per day, per violation.
Examples of Violations
Fence violation - gap greater than four inches.
Missing main drain cover violation.
Example of an improperly removed spa.
Example of a properly removed spa.
Houston Department of Health and Human Services
Bureau of Consumer Health Services
8000 N. Stadium Dr., 2nd Floor
Houston, TX 77054