Houston Health Department
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
Resistant infections result in increased morbidity and mortality and pose a significant burden on healthcare costs. As the fourth largest city in the United States, hospital acquired infections and antibiotic resistance (HAI/AR) are common and as leaders in the area of public health, the Houston Health Department has made it a priority to address antibiotic stewardship with the Houston Antimicrobial Stewardship Executive Committee. The committee was founded in 2012 with the goal to work with health care professionals in Houston to strengthen collective activities in preserving antibiotics in the community.
Antimicrobial Stewardship Executive Committee
Committee Steering Members
- Raouf Arafat, MD, MPH – Dr. Arafat is the Assistant Director of the Houston Health Department and the Director of the Office of Surveillance and Public Health Preparedness. He is a veteran administrator with decades of experience more+
- Edward J. Septimus, M.D., F.I.D.S.A, F.A.C.P, F.S.H.E.A.- Dr. Ed Septimus received his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston in 1972. Dr. Septimus went on to complete his postgraduate training in internal medicine and infectious more+
- Kevin Garey, PharmD, MS, FASHP- Kevin Garey is a Professor at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy and Chair of the Department of Pharmacy Practice and Translational Research. He is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Texas more+
- Kristi Kuper, PharmD, BCPS - Kristi Kuper is currently a Senior Clinical Manager of Infectious Diseases for Vizient (formerly UHC/VHA). She has spent the majority of her 18 year career working in antibiotic stewardship with a specific more+
- Charlene Offiong, PharmD, City Of Houston - Charlene Offiong has various pharmacy experiences in community, clinical, academia and pharmaceutical industry (both in commercial and medical affairs). She has worked for The Methodist Hospital, Harris County Psychiatric Center, Select Specialty Hospital, TSU College of Pharmacy, GlaxoSmithKline and Novartis. Her areas of interest include psychiatry/neurology, respiratory, vaccines, and Public Health.