Houston health department
- Improve vaccination levels to Healthy People 2020 standards
- Ensure children who may not have access to vaccinations due to inability to pay receive all ACIP recommended vaccines on schedule
- Effective monitoring of Vaccine for Children(VFC) Providers to ensure vaccines are being stored and handled properly
- Monitor and assess immunization compliance among licensed child care centers, registered child care homes, and schools
- Provide awareness and education to community members on the importance of receiving immunizations throughout the course of the lifespan
- Build partnerships within community stakeholders to spearhead immunization initiatives to improve vaccination rates
- Work with VFC providers to implement quality improvement strategies that assist with enhancing service delivery to increase vaccination coverage rates
- Educate and train providers on how to successfully consolidate immunization histories into the immunization registry to support the elimination of vaccine preventable diseases
- Provide case management services to Hepatitis B positive pregnant women to prevent the perinatal transmission of hepatitis B
- Educate birthing hospitals on the importance of reporting perinatal hepatitis B positive cases to the Houston Health Department
- Provide adequate immunization services to community members during natural disasters
Services at the Adult/Foreign Travel Immunization Clinic will no longer be provided effective July 1, 2017. Adult Safety Net Program vaccines will remain available for uninsured adults at all HHD Immunization Clinics Locations.
Vaccine-Preventable DiseasesRecommended Vaccines by Disease:
Because of vaccines, some diseases (like polio and diphtheria) are becoming rare in the United States. Vaccines are available for these 18 dangerous or deadly diseases. Over the years, these vaccines have prevented countless cases of disease and saved millions of lives. Infants, children, adolescents, teens and adults need different vaccinations, depending on their age, location, job, lifestyle, travel schedule, health conditions or previous vaccinations.
Click on a disease name below to learn more about the disease and how to prevent them from the CDC.
Image Library - importance of vaccination
The Immunization Action Coalition's (IAC) gallery of digital images includes pictures of health professionals vaccinating children, teens, and adults; images of people affected by vaccine-preventable diseases; micrographs of viruses, bacteria, and pathology specimens; and slideshows of global immunization campaigns, past and present.
Get Vaccinated and Prevent Measles