Houston health department
Children Immunization Information for Providers
What is the Texas Vaccines for Children Program?
Since its inception in 1994, Texas has participated in the Federal Vaccines for Children Program (VFC). The Texas version is called the Texas Vaccines for Children Program (TVFC). The Program was initiated by the passage of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993. This legislation guaranteed vaccines would be available at no cost to providers, in order to immunize children (birth - 18 years of age) who meet the eligibility requirements.
Today there are more than 500 providers enrolled in TVFC in Houston/Harris County. Texas leads the nation in the number of uninsured and underinsured children. Many of these children are not receiving the complete series of immunizations required to protect them from vaccine-preventable diseases.
Under TVFC, the following groups of children (birth – 18 years of age) are eligble to receive free vaccines:
- uninsured or underinsured children,
- children who are covered by CHIP,
- children who are of Native American or Native Alaskan heritage, and
- children on Medicaid.
Interested in becoming a TVFC provider?
By enrolling in TVFC, you can provide innumerable benefits to the families in your practice, and to the people of Houston/Harris County. One of the most important benefits is removing barriers to immunizations. For instance, you will no longer have to refer an uninsured child to a public health center for immunizations. TVFC removes the burden of the financial cost of vaccines, thereby eliminating the need to refer clients. Children are then kept in their “medical home,” which is beneficial to the provider and client. Families who are currently paying for vaccinations may be TVFC eligible.
- Complete the TVFC Provider Agreement.
- Complete the Vaccines For Children (VFC) and Vaccine Storage & Handling modules of the You Call the Shots web-based training.
- Submit the TVFC Provider Agreement and the You Call the Shots certificates to TVFChouston@houstontx.gov.
- Registerand attend the New Provider Orientation at the Houston Health Department.
- Schedule the Initial Site Visit with your TVFC Representative to inspect your vaccine storage equipment and to complete your initial vaccine order.
Information for providers