Share Share
Health and Human Services

HDHHS reminds parents to obtain birth certificates for school year   Contact: Kathy Barton 713-794-9998 or Porfirio Villarreal at 713-794-9021 

HDHHS reminds parents to obtain birth certificates for school year

The Houston Department of Health and Human Services (HDHHS) reminds parents that the most convenient location to obtain copies of birth certificates for their children is the multi-service center or health center nearest to them.

Schools districts usually require a certified copy of a birth certificate upon initial enrollment.

HDHHS’ Bureau of Vital Statistics sites and their days of operation are:

  • Mondays, Southwest Multi-Service Center, 6400 High Star
  • Tuesdays, Magnolia Multi-Service Center, 7037 Capitol, and La Nueva Casa de Amigos Health Center, 1809 N. Main
  • Wednesdays, Acres Homes Multi-Service Center, 6719 West Montgomery, and Third Ward Multi-Service Center, 3611 Ennis
  • Thursdays, Sunnyside Multi-Service Center, 4605 Wilmington and Lyons Health Center, 5602 Lyons Avenue, and
  • Fridays, Northside Health Center, 8523 Arkansas

The sites open from 9 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. La Nueva Casa de Amigos Health Center and the Southwest, Magnolia and Acres Homes Multi-Service Centers will open weekdays from August 25 to September 5 to accommodate demand once schools open.

The sites provide certificates for children born in Houston.

HDHHS also offers full vital statistics services on weekdays from its main offices at 8000 N. Stadium Drive. Birth certificates for children born in other Texas cities are available at the main offices.

Each copy of a birth certificate costs $23. Only checks or money orders are accepted at the health centers and multi-service centers.

HDHHS issues birth certificates only to parents, legal guardians and immediate family members such as sisters, brothers, grandparents and stepparents. Qualified applicants must present valid, official photo identification such as a driver’s license, military ID, state/city/county photo ID, current employment photo ID or some type of officially issued photo ID.

It is not necessary for a child to accompany a parent to obtain a birth certificate.

For more information, call 311 or 713-794-9050 for birth certificates.

This news release was issued August 11, 2008