Houston Health Department
WIC Catch 5
Catch 5 for A Healthy Weight Program
WIC and many local pediatric providers share clientele. A challenge for providers in both settings is to integrate obesity screening and client-centered counseling due to time constraint and need for user friendly office tools/system in place. “Catch 5 for a Healthy Weight” offers tools and guidance for brief client centered office-based consultation with parents of overweight or obese children.
Project Goal - build partnership between WIC and local pediatric clinics to:
- Promoting parental awareness about their children’s Body Mass Index (BMI) for children who are overweight (BMI 85th - 94th percentile) or obese (BMI ≥ 95th percentile)
- Providing parents with consistent and unified behavioral messages on obesity prevention
- Assisting parents or caregivers to make changes toward healthier eating and increased physical activity.
Catch 5 For a Healthy Weight project activities are based on the 2007 Expert Committee Recommendations on the Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment of Child and Adolescent Overweight and Obesity.
Catch 5's core health behavior messages are:
Local WIC Statistics on Childhood Obesity
At the HDHHS (Houston Department of Health and Human Services)-WIC program, the prevalence of overweight and obese children 2 – 5 years of age is 34.4% compared to 37% among Hispanic children and 23.5% for African American Children of the same age group. The HDHHS_WIC program obesity rate of 18% is 3.6 times the Healthy People 2010 target of 5 percent. Nationwide, the prevalence of children 2 to 5 years of age are either overweight (BMI 85th – 94th percentile) or obese (BMI ≥ 95th percentile) is approximately 28% (CDC-PedNESS).
Additional Information on Catch 5 and Childhood Obesity
- Project Outcome 2008-2010 Catch 5 Poster Presentation
- Catch 5 for a Healthy Weight - Materials (available in English and Spanish)
- Childhood Obesity Prevention Web Resource List
For additional information:
Rosana Arruda, M.S., R.D., L.D.,
Obesity Project Coordinator,