Houston Health Department
Healthy Families Houston
Healthy Families Houston uses a nationally recognized, evidence-based, home visiting program designed to work with overburdened families that are at risk for child abuse. We work with families that may have histories of trauma, domestic violence, mental health, and/or substance abuse.
Home visiting services are offered to first-time moms, between 14-19 years old, who live in Houston, Texas. Services begin prenatally or up to two weeks after birth, and last until the child’s third birthday.
Healthy Families Houston aims to:
- reduce child maltreatment;
- improve parent-child interactions and children’s social-emotional well-being;
- increase school readiness;
- promote child physical health and development;
- promote positive parenting;
- promote family self-sufficiency;
- increase access to primary care medical services and community services; and
- decrease child injuries and emergency department use.