Profile of a District: Avondale East and Avondale West
Located in the heart of the eccentric Montrose neighborhood, Avondale is a cozy community full of beautiful historic homes.
It was designed to compete with other upscale neighborhoods, such as Courtland Place, Montrose, and Westmoreland. Avondale would become one of Houston’s preeminent upscale “Streetcar Subdivisions.” Today, the original Avondale neighborhood includes two historic districts: Avondale East and Avondale West, which were developed in the early twentieth century. Read more ...
Rafter Tales: Telling the stories of historic Houston
Welcome to Rafter Tales, Houston’s newest blog dedicated to historic preservation. Like the people who call it home, Houston has an incredibly diverse built environment. From the cottages in Norhill, to the mansions on Courtlandt Place, to the mid-century moderns in Glenbrook Valley, Houston’s historic fabric illustrates a vibrant and thriving history. In the entries to come, we will be exploring and celebrating Houston’s past through the buildings and neighborhoods that have endured.
What can you expect from Rafter Tales?
- Profiles of historic districts, neighborhoods and buildings
- Stories about the people and organizations making positive contributions to Historic Preservation in Houston
- Photos essays showing how Houston grew into the city it is today
- Musings on the state of historic preservation
- Practical advice about living in and maintaining a historic home
- Descriptions and definitions of jargon used in historic preservation