Human Resources Department

Employee Relations

Image for Employee Relations web page

The Employee Relations/Labor Relations Office serves all City departments by providing City employees with a forum to address issues, concerns and provide assistance in correcting problems.

The Employee Relations/Labor Relations Office administers the Classified and Municipal grievance systems by scheduling and providing administrative supports on disciplinary appeals and arbitrations as mandated by the Texas Local Government Code, the City of Houston Code of Ordinances and City Charter.

The Employee Relations/Labor Relations Office also monitors labor union activities between the City and recognized labor unions as well as provides administrative supports to ensure contract compliance of recognized labor union agreements.


If you are experiencing ADA issues please contact the ADA coordinator.

For Sexual Harrassment issues please call the hotline at 832-393-7200.

To report employee misconduct please contact the Office of Inspector General to file a complaint.

For training and development you can contact the Learning and Development Center or register and find classes on the COH Talent Management System.

Civil Service Commission and POSCC Agendas

Current arbitration schedule

Firefighters’ and Municipal Employees’ Civil Service Commission (CSC)

The Firefighter and Municipal Civil Service Commission was created by Article V(a), City Charter. City of Houston, Code of Ordinances, Chapter 14, Article I, Sections 14-1 through 14-18 and Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 143, Sections 143.006 through 143.012.

The purpose of the Civil Service Commission is:

  1. To administer the Civil Service law as set out in the rules and regulations governing such bodies;
  2. To serve as the board of appeals for a suspended or aggrieved employee who has invoked review procedures under the provisions set forth;
  3. To conduct such hearing fairly and impartially under such provisions; and,
  4. To render a fair and just decision considering only the evidence before them in such hearing. 

Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission (POCSC)

The Police Officers’ Civil Service Commission was created by the Texas Local Government Code, Chapter 143, and the Meet & Confer Agreement between the City of Houston and the Houston Police Officers Union, Article 15 (2001 Agreement with the 2003 & 2004 Amendments).

The Police Officers' Civil Service Commission has the jurisdiction over appeals of disciplinary actions, Step IV appeals of grievances, and all other duties associated with the classification system, promotional system medical and psychological (fitness for duty) separations and the compensation systems of classified officers set out in the City Charter, the Code of Ordinances and Chapter 143 of the Texas Local Government Code.

Frequently asked questions

How do I file an appeal to an indefinite suspension, temporary suspension, reduction in pay or involuntary demotion?

All Municipal Employees and Classified Fire and Police Non-Union Members
Please visit the Employee Relations/Labor Relations Office located at:
611 Walker, 4th Floor, Room 411, Houston, TX 77002
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
No appointment is needed.

Classified Fire or Police Union Members – Please contact your local union.

1600 State Street, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77007
Tel: 832-200-3420

HPFFA Local 341
1607 Freeman Street
Houston, TX 77009
Tel: 713-223-9166

What are the grievable issues for bargaining unit members under the current HOPE/City of Houston Meet & Confer Agreement?

  1. Non-selection for a promotion to a referred position
  2. Hazardous working conditions not intrinsic to the job
  3. HEAR evaluations with an overall rating of 2.99 or less
  4. Failure to receive a HEAR evaluation if delayed more than six months
  5. Failure to be paid overtime or compensatory time if eligible, appropriate, and worked
  6. Written reprimand or Reminder II
  7. Decision Making Leave (DML) Day
  8. Temporary suspensions of 15 days or less

How do I obtain grievance forms to start the grievance process?

Please contact your departmental grievance coordinator to obtain grievance forms to start the grievance process. View the current list to select a department grievance coordinator for your department.

Do I have to submit a request for an ADA accommodation in writing?

No, but it’s the preferred method to ensure your request is acted upon. Contact the ADA Coordinator if you need assistance with this.

My boss is making unwanted passes at me. What should I do?

Contact the Sexual Harassment Hotline @ 832-393-7200 for advice and referral.

I have a chronic medical condition that is slowly getting worse, making it harder to work. I’m afraid to say anything to my supervisor for fear of losing my job. What should I do?

Contact the ADA Coordinator for advice. You have certain rights under the law, but you need to make arrangements for accommodation before you start missing work and losing your job through disciplinary action.

Who is on the Grievance Review Committee?

The committee is comprised of two city employees designated by the HOPE union, two city employees designated by the City, and a faculty member from a law school in the Houston area with experience in employee and labor relations, mediations, and arbitrations. The faculty members chair each meeting of the committee and serve voluntarily on a rotating basis.

Can I have a representative at my Grievance Hearing?

Yes, you may be represented, and that person does not have to be an attorney. However, the representative may not be another city employee unless they have been certified by the Labor Management Cooperation Council (LMCC) as a Department Union Representative (DUR) or they are a probationary DUR per the HOPE/City of Houston Meet & Confer Agreement.

What happens if I discover some evidence that might help my case between the time of my Step II and Step III hearing?

The primary purpose of the Grievance Review Committee is to review the documentation and the audio recording made at the Step II evidentiary hearing. However, prior to beginning the Step III hearing, the chair will ask if either party has any new evidence to present that was not available at the Step II hearing. If either side has new evidence, the committee will listen to what type of evidence it is and determine if it will be admissible for the Step III hearing. The decisions of the Grievance Review Committee are final.