City Employee Language Access Center
Use this portal to explore language access resources that will help prepare you to assist non-English speakers in real-time.
iSpeak Houston offers training to City departments on the essentials of language access. To request a training, please email Terence.ONeill@houstontx.gov. You can also receive training using LMS Talent Management Training, or by watching the video below.
Department Language Access Plans
City of Houston departments that offer direct services to the public are required to submit a language access plan. Each plan specifies how an individual department will assist non-English speakers. To view the plan for your department, simply click the corresponding link below:
- City Secretary
- Office of Business Opportunity
- Public Works
- Solid Waste
- Contact you Language Coordinator
To supplement your training on language access, explore the below links. You can browse through our catalog of iSpeak Cards used by constituents; read through City of Houston’s official policy on language access; and understand the demographics of Houston that support the need for language access.
To print one of the posters in its highest quality, select 11x17 paper, and choose the option “Fit to printer margins.”
- iSpeak Card Library
- Mayor’s Administrative Policy 2-11 for Language Access
- Language Spoken at Home (Other than English)
- Partnering with an Interpreter
- How Assisting LEPs Flow Chart (updated 03.30.2016)
- Ability to Speak English "Less Than Very Well" in City of Houston (.pdf)
- Migration Policy Institute Language Portal
- Language Identification Guide Poster (11x17, .pdf, update April 2016)
- Interpreting Services Poster (15 Languages)
- Language Access Promotional Posters (11x17, .pdf)
- Welcome Posters (opens in a new window)
- Language Identification Guide Card (8.5x11, .pdf, updated April 2016)
- Google Translate App for iPhone
- Google Translate App for Android
iSpeak Houston is a project of the City of Houston and the Department of Neighborhoods
ispeak Houston Links
Hearing Impaired Information
Contact MAria Town at the Office for People with Disabilities to request an interpreter for a deaf or hearing impaired individual: 832.394.0670. At least 24 hours’ notice may be required.
- City of Houston departments requesting interpretation services are billed by the vendor. Save 2% of the total cost by paying within ten days of receipt.
- If applicable, please send the interpreter by email any PowerPoint slides, agendas, or other documents that will be used during interpretation.
- Departments offering any type of public event need to contact the Office of People for Disabilities at least 72 hours prior to the event, if interrelation services are needed. Mention of such services should be part of any public notice (contact Jay Stiteley for suggested language) or during the actual registration process. Make sure to include the contact information of the staff member responsible for appropriate accommodations.