National Foreign Language Week
MAYOR’S OFFICE OF NEW AMERICANS INVITES HOUSTONIANS TO CELEBRATE
NATIONAL FOREIGN LANGUAGE WEEK
MARCH 4-10, 2018
Scheduled Events Spotlight the Rewards of Learning a Foreign Language
The Office of New Americans and Immigrant Communities invites Houstonians to celebrate National Foreign Language Week by participating in a series of multilingual events scheduled between March 4-10, 2018. Endorsed by U.S presidents since 1956, this national celebration calls public attention to the benefits and rewards that come with learning a foreign language. Studies have shown that individuals who speak more than one language have increased brain activity and add value to the workforce. Learning a foreign language also promotes cultural sharing and understanding in today’s global community. This celebration of linguistic diversity is of special significance to Houston, as a welcoming city where more than 145 languages are spoken, and one of every four residents was born in another country. For a calendar of events, see below.
The Mayor’s Office of New Americans and Immigrant Communities is a division of the Department of Neighborhoods. For more information, visit https://www.houstontx.gov/na/ .
- March 4th – 3:00 pm Houston Polyglot Café* is sponsoring a Language Acquisition Seminar https://www.meetup.com/polyglot/events/248052032/
- March 6th – 4:00 pm Para Los Niños @ Walter Neighborhood Library Meeting Room
- March 7th – 11:00 am NFLW Tent @ City Hall Farmer’s Market
- March 7th – 1:00 pm Cine en Español @ Carnegie Neighborhood Library
- March 7th – 2:00 pm Learning - Mandarin Chinese @ Vinson Neighborhood Library
- March 8th – 4:00 pm Chinese Storytime @ Walter Neighborhood Library
- March 8th – 6:30 pm Spanish Language Class @ Jungman Neighborhood Library
- March 9th – 2:30 pm Sign Time @ Jungman Neighborhood Library
*In the Houston Polyglot Café, we aim to achieve our primary goal of encouraging every person to learn a foreign language by celebrating the diversity around us and providing resources for language learners at all levels. We meet at least four times a month as a larger group in various restaurants around the Greater Houston area in order to expose our group to the variety of foods that the city has to offer and the communities of people that are out there. In addition to exposure through food, many members take the initiative to organize study groups for specific language learning. At these gatherings, native speakers, teachers, and students alike encourage one another to advance their language proficiency. As a whole, the Houston Polyglot Café is a learning centered social group. Every meetup is an opportunity to meet someone new and to learn something new. https://www.meetup.com/polyglot/.
Additional info about the events at one of our Houston libraries can be found at https://houstonlibrary.org/learn-explore/library-events?field_library_node_target_id=All&field_event_type_tid=72