August 13, 2013 -- Mayor Annise Parker announced today that the 2013 Thanksgiving Day Parade will go on as planned, but under different management. Over $400,000 has been pledged from various sources to help cover the cost of the event and a parade producer has been secured to oversee all planning and logistics.
“The annual holiday parade is a Houston tradition that must continue,” said Mayor Parker. “There was no way I was going to let everyone down. Thankfully, our corporate friends and others feel the same way and have stepped up to help out. I was confident they would do so because they are always willing to help when there’s a problem to be solved. It is due to their quick action and generosity that everything has fallen into place nicely.”
The funds raised, so far, are coming from the following sources:
- Central Houston Civic Improvement, Inc. (CHCI)
- Central Houston members thru CHCI
- Houston Arts Alliance Grant
“H-E-B has been a loyal parade sponsor for seven years, said H-E-B Director of Public Affairs Cyndy Garza Roberts. “In 2007, H-E-B stepped in to bring the popular event to our city. We look forward to helping share this much loved family holiday tradition with the community for many years to come.”
Ward and Ames Special Events will serve as event manager of operations and the Mayor’s Office of Special Events will provide additional oversight.
In addition to the commitment of the organization’s own funds, Central Houston members have pledged $110,000 towards the 2013 parade with additional requests pending. “We are finding strong interest in keeping this 64 year Houston holiday tradition alive,” said Pam Gardner, Central Houston’s Chair. “We are appreciative of the prompt response when we made the appeal, and the door remains open for more sponsors.”
Citing financial difficulties, the Houston Festival Foundation publicly announced last week that it would no longer produce the parade.