Benefits of Certification
There are many benefits to becoming certified with the City of Houston which include: eligibility to participate on goal oriented contracts, resources to educate, connect, and grow certified firms, and a wide variety of networking opportunities and events.
In fiscal year 2012 the City of Houston spent over 1 billion dollars on goods and services (procurements). Over 339 million dollars went to S/MWBE and DBE certified firms. Only firms certified by the City of Houston are eligible to fulfill goal requirements on City contracts.
Benefits of Certification:
- Listing in the City’s Online Directory of Certified Vendors
- Access to workshops, seminars, and quarterly newsletter Insights to Opportunity
- Bidding opportunities on goal oriented City contracts
- Specialized business development
City of Houston Certification is also accepted by the following agencies:
- Port of Houston Authority
- Houston Independent School District
- Houston Community College
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Houston Housing Authority
- Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts
- Texas Department of Transportation
- Airport Transportation Agencies Statewide
Common Certification Agreements
The City of Houston has “Fast Track” certification agreements with the Houston Minority Supplier Development Council (HMSDC) and the Houston Women's Business Enterprise Alliance (WBEA). In addition, the City of Houston is a participant in the Texas Unified Certification Program, and the State of Texas Historically Underutilized Business Program.