Office of Business Opportunity
COVID-19 Related Resources for Small Businesses
Resources for Restaurateurs, Grocers, and Hospitality - Related Businesses
Capital / Financial Impacts
- Kiva - crowd funded 0% interest loan.
- During this outbreak, offering crowd-funded loans up to 10-15k.
- Details on accessing Kiva loans
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program - $100M to be distributed in coming weeks. Sign up for updates.
- Bartender’s Emergency Assistance: Bartender or the spouse or child of a Bartender
- Other sources of capital (without COVID-19 specific focus) are listed in CWK’s Funding Sources Resource here.
Alternative Revenue Solutions
- Mercato is an online ordering and delivery service built for independent grocers and sellers.
- Fact sheet in the folder with key takeaways and contact information
- Dining Bond Initiative
- Similar to government-issued war bonds- the Dining Bond Initiative seeks to bring in immediate cash in exchange for future restaurant purchases. Diners can buy gift certificates sold at a 25% discount ($100 worth of food for a $75 bond) to be redeemed in the restaurant within the next month or two, depending on how individual restaurants decide to honor the bonds
- This program is open to all restaurants
- How it works:
- Establish a way to sell dining bonds through your website, by phone, or regular mail (the transaction will be directly between you and the customer)
- Create a separate page on your website outlining your individual dining bond and terms and conditions. This should outline
- Where to purchase bonds/gift certificates
- The amount of the bond at face value and the purchase price
- The earliest date the bond can be redeemed
- Fill out and submit the form (on the linked website) to appear on the list of participating restaurants
- Fisherman Setting up a takeout/delivery portion of your website:
- Free Website: Fisherman is offering free website services and assistance in setting up takeout/delivery for any restaurant for the next 6 months.
- What to do: Fill out the attached form and they will reach out and begin managing and building a google presence
- What’s included in the package? Web hosting, a custom domain, a modern mobile-optimized website, SSL security, and access to their website editor
- Gift Card Options for Small Businesses
- Feed the Frontline - in test mode, hoping to launch in a few weeks
Food Business-specific COVID-19 and crisis management resources
- COVID-19 Learnings and resources (specific to real estate/restaurant/retail), aggregated by Graffito; here
- Chicken and Rice Guys wrote about their experience and learnings from managing a crisis in 2017 when they had to close the restaurant for 8 days.
- This webinar shared by the James Beard Association, which speaks to operations during a time of crisis
Resources (financial and otherwise) to share with Staff
- Supporting workers in crisis - One Fair Wage → Emergency Coronavirus Tipped and Service Worker Support Fund. Provides cash assistance to restaurant workers, car service drivers, delivery workers, personal service workers and more who need the money they aren’t getting to survive.
- Restaurant Workers Community Foundation - COVID19 Crisis Relief Fund
- Information about this is still being released, as it is being set up as we speak.
- While they are setting it up, we will update, but anyone can email firstname.lastname@example.org