Registration: Daily Sign In Required
OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOLS & WATER SPRAYGROUNDS
The Houston Parks and Recreation Department’s (H.P.A.R.D.) 37 outdoor swimming pools are open during the summer months (June – Aug). All pools are FREE and open to all ages; however, children under 8 years old must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Houston’s swimming pools are open Tuesday through Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. for recreation and relief from the summer heat! Emancipation Park Pool is closed due to construction.
The department also operates a heated indoor natatorium for citizens with disabilities at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center, 1475 West Gray. The 5-lane, 25-yard heated pool is open year round for people with disabilities. The fully accessible pool is equipped with a zero depth entry ramp, hand rails, and three chair lifts. Changing and shower facilities are available adjacent to the pool area. Participants are required to have independent functioning mobility skills or bring an adult attendant to assist.
- What to Wear: Appropriate swim-wear is required – No cut-offs, shorts, T-shirts, or thongs. The City of Houston’s policy prohibits the wearing of T-shirts in swimming pools unless an exemption letter has been accepted and filed in our Aquatics Office. Exemptions are granted based on medical and/or religious reasons, for the wearing of plain white T-shirts only.
- For the Kids: Children under 8 must be accompanied in the pool by a parent or an adult. Swim diapers are required for infants and babies.No flotation devices, such as floaties and inflatables, are permitted.
- What Not to Do: No smoking is alllowed. No eating and drinking is allowed, except in designated areas. No beverages or alcohol in glass containers are permitted. No excessively loud music is permitted.
- For a complete list of rules and regulation for department pools please follow this link (Rules and Regulations).
H2OSAFE lEARN TO SWIM, sWIMWISE, AND WATER FITNESS CLASSES
The Department offers three different opportunities for you and your family to learn to swim or stay fit this summer including H2OSAFE LEARN TO SWIM, SwimWise and Water Fitness classes for adults. All of these classes are free and are filled on a “first come, first served” basisduring specified registration periods. On line registration is requiredand begins at 8:00 a.m. on the registration date. To register click on this link Online Registration. Please note: registration for Water Fitness classes may also occur at the pool site on the first date of class.
H2OSAFE LEARN TO SWIM classes are offered at three levels and are designed to teach youth ages 6 – 13 basic swim skills, swim strokes, and water safety skills to help them become proficient at swimming. Each session meets Tuesday through Friday for two weeks (30 minute class). Classes are FREE and space is limited on a “first-come, first-served” basis during specified registration periods. Online Registration is required and begins at 8 am on registration date. To print a schedule of H20Safe Learn to Swim classes click here (H2O Safe Schedule pdf). To register, visit https://apm.activecommunities.com/houstonparks/Home.
SwimWise is a series of FREE learn to swim classes offered for all ages and skill levels. Classes meet on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for 30 minutes every day for two weeks. There are four 2-week sessions offered during the summer, with the exception of the Junior Lifeguard and Parent and Me classes. The Junior Lifeguarding and Parent and Me classes are offered as ONE session during the summer for eight weeks and meet on the days scheduled. Classes are FREE and space is limited on a “first-come, first-served” basis during specified registration periods. Online Registration is required and begins at 8:00 a.m. on registration date. To print a schedule of SwimWise classes click here (Swimwise Schedule pdf). To register, visit https://apm.activecommunities.com/houstonparks/Home..
Water Fitness classes give you the opportunity to stay active and fit and to socialize with other adults in the cool water. The department offers three levels of water fitness classes consist of general exercise in the shallow end of the pool or more strenuous deep-water activity.All enrollments are filled on a “first come, first served” basis. Classes are limited to a maximum of 20 participants per class at most pool sites. Aqua shoes, a towel, and a plastic bottle of water are recommended. To print a schedule of Water Fitness classes click here. To register visit https://apm.activecommunities.com/houstonparks/Home or at the pool site.
Please Note: Asterisk (*) indicates a SwimWise Site
ACTIVITIES GUIDE & CLASS CATALOG
H.P.A.R.D.’s Summer Activities Guide and Class Catalog is available online now! Check out the listings for recreation, fitness, and educational opportunities you and your family can take part in!
REQUESTS FOR PUBLIC RECORDs
Houston Parks and Recreation Department
2999 S. Wayside Drive
Houston, TX 77023
Recreation and Wellness
- ADAPTIVE SPORTS AND RECREATION
- ADULT SPORTS/SPORTS LEAGUES AND RECREATION
- AFTER-SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM (A.S.A.P.)
- AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (A.S.E.P.)
- AFTER-SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM (A.S.M.P.)
- COMMUNITY CENTERS
- FITNESS CENTERS / GYMS
- SENIOR SPORTS AND RECREATION
- TENNIS CENTERS
- YOUTH SPORTS AND RECREATION
Permits and Reservations
- Jun. 30 - Hermann Park July 4 Traffic
- Jun. 28 - July Is Park And Recreation Month
HPARD Calendar of Events