Gus Wortham Memorial Fountain
Title: Gus S. Wortham Memorial Fountain
Artist: Cannady, William T.
Medium: Bronze Pipes
Location: Buffalo Bayou Park
The Gus S. Wortham Memorial Fountain was donated to the City of Houston by the Wortham Foundation and American General Life Insurance. It dates from 1978 and is the work of Houston architect and long-time Rice University professor William T. Cannady.
Inspired by a similar fountain in Australia, it consists of a central bronze shaft sprouting multiple bronze sprinkler pipes coated in lacquer which create a dandelion-like spherical spray of water. Due to its impressive design and iconic location on Allen Parkway, the fountain is instantly recognizable to Houstonians and is a favorite spot for dog walkers.
Mr. Cannady is a native Houstonian, an Eagle Scout, and a former U.S. Marine, and has had an architecture
Art In Parks is Funded by a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance
ACTIVITIES GUIDE & CLASS CATALOG
H.P.A.R.D.’s Fall Activities Guide & Class Catalog is available online now! Check out the listings for recreation, fitness, and educational opportunities you and your family can take part in!
REQUESTS FOR PUBLIC RECORDs
Houston Parks and Recreation Department
2999 S. Wayside Drive
Houston, TX 77023
Recreation and Wellness
- ADAPTIVE SPORTS AND RECREATION /
METROPOLITAN MULTI-SERVICE CENTER
- ADULT SPORTS/SPORTS LEAGUES AND RECREATION
- AFTER-SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM (A.S.A.P.)
- AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (A.S.E.P.)
- AFTER-SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM (A.S.M.P.)
- COMMUNITY CENTERS
- FITNESS CENTERS / GYMS
- SENIOR SPORTS AND RECREATION
- TENNIS CENTERS
- YOUTH SPORTS AND RECREATION
Permits and Reservations
- Sep. 6 - HPARD Park Facilities and Venues Operating Schedule Normalizes
- Sep. 5 - HPARD Opens Park Facilities Centers Following Harvey
HPARD Calendar of Events