Artist: Borglum, John Gutzon
Location: MacGregor Park
Peggy is the work of John Gutzon Borglum and is the likeness of Elizabeth “Peggy” Stevens MacGregor, the wife of Houston real estate developer Henry MacGregor and a driving force behind the establishment of MacGregor Park. The artwork consists of a bronze statue attached to a 28-ton piece of granite.
Originally dedicated in 1927, it was placed in Peggy Park, a triangular gift of the MacGregors bounded by Wheeler, Almeda, and Chenevert Streets. It was later moved to another MacGregor gift to the city, Peggy Point Park on Main Street. After many years of exposure to the elements, it was removed and restored by Houstonian Ben Woitena, better known to Houstonians as the creator of the modern sculpture in Memorial Park, Three Quarter Time. Peggy was then installed in MacGregor Park, where she stands in front of the MacGregor Fitness Center in the historic MacGregor Park Clubhouse, directly across from a monument to her husband.
John Gutzon Borglum lived from 1867 to 1941. He is best known in America as the sculptor of Mount Rushmore. His studies included a sojourn in Paris with the sculptor Auguste Rodin and classes at the Academie Julien and the Ecole des Beaux Arts. He worked in Spain and England before returning to the United States. He worked extensively in Texas.
Art In Parks is Funded by a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance