Title: Pillot Dogs
Artist: Del Rey Bronze Inc.
Medium: Cast Iron
Location: Sam Houston Park
This pair of dog sculptures is widely regarded as Houston treasures. They stand guard over the steps leading to the Pillot House in Sam Houston Park.
Eugene Pillot ordered them from the Janes, Kirtland, and Company catalog in the 1870’s. Made of cast iron, they were made in Morrisania, New York, from a design by an artist listed as Richardson. Mr. Pillot had them installed at the entrance to his house, which became a local landmark, partly due to the house’s architectural charm and partly because of the dog sculptures.
Later, they were donated to the River Oaks Garden Club, then given by the club to the Heritage Society to be reunited with the Pillot House when it was moved to Sam Houston Park. Unfortunately, the sculptures were cracked and chipped and it was determined that they required restoration. The originals now reside in the Heritage Society Museum. Replicas were cast by Del Rey Bronze of Houston, and they stand guard over the Pillot House.
Art In Parks is Funded by a grant from the City of Houston through Houston Arts Alliance