After-School Achievement Program (A.S.A.P.)
The Mayor's After-School Achievement Program (A.S.A.P.) was created in 1997 to engage Houston youth in structured, supervised after schoolactivities to reduce juvenile crime and victimization. In 2004, the program moved under the administration of the Houston Parks and Recreation Department. During this transition, new program guidelines were implemented and enforced and staff was added to conduct site visits to ensure contract compliance and provide technical assistance.
Through A.S.A.P., the City of Houston fundsprogramming for youth in elementary and middle school at schools and non-profit agencies from September to June, Monday-Friday, between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.All A.S.A.P. sites are required to provide matching funds and/or in-kind contributions from collaborative partners. Matching funds are typically used to fund snacks, transportation, field trips, and special events. First year sites must provide a $10,000 match with in-kind funds.
Programming must be provided for a minimum of 30 children per site, at least five days per week. Funded schools and organizations set their own curricula in collaboration with students, teachers, parents and program partners. A.S.A.P. goals are:
- To provide safe, supervised, structured programming for youth after school
- To prevent delinquency and reduce crime committed by/against juveniles
- To improve participants’ school performance, conduct, and attendance
- To encourage the ongoing involvement of parents and the community in youth programs
- To motivate youth to develop citizenship and good health habits
- To build positive partnerships to create fun, affordable, quality after-school programming for youth
HOW TO APPLY
If you are a school (public/charter school) or a nonprofit agency and would like to be an A.S.A.P. partner, you must fill out & return the 2014-2015 Request for Proposals and Application Guidelines (RFP) and 2014-2015 Application Narrative.
2016 – 2017 RFP Click here for downloadable pdf
2016 – 2017 Application Narrative Click here for downloadable pdf