H.P.A.R.D. Park Histories


Luis A. Jimenez's sculpture "The Vaquero" was installed at Moody Park in 1978


1937 - 1978

1937

It was illegal to pasture cows in parks or on esplanades.

Park employees had police power to enforce rules and regulations and were deemed police officers by the City of  Houston with the power to make arrests.

Houston's largest and only lighted fountain was at Forest Park Cemetery. Car loads of sightseers drove by nightly to  view it.

City Council debated over whether city pools would be free or fee accessed. Council did not want Houstonians  wandering around the city wearing bathing suits. They could not decide on whether to have 1 central pool or 5  neighborhood pools.

Hermann Park had a donkey trail with 14 donkeys at the zoo. An aquarium was under consideration at Hermann Park.

A request was made to the School Board to open up school grounds for park use. A request was made again in1951.

The Parks Department was recreated after the Depression with a Board of 6 Park Commissioners. Mrs. Josephine  Milby Hamman donated parkland in her father's memory, Mr. C. H. Milby.

1939

The W.P.A. undertook construction of recreation buildings in Emancipation Park and Milby Park. City government  moved from Market Square to the brand-new City Hall at Hermann Square December 3, 1939. Designed in an  exuberant Art Deco style by Joseph Finger, it was one of Houston’s first air-conditioned office buildings.

Miss Annette Finnigan, a longtime advocate for women’s suffrage and other civil rights issues, donated 19 acres to the  city that became Finnigan Park, the second public park reserved for the exclusive use of black Houstonians. Miss  Finnigan was white.

1940

165 acres of Memorial Park was set-aside for a non-profit Arboretum.

1941

The Public Parks Department's budget was $150,000

1943

The close association and similar goals of the Recreation and Public Parks Departments brought about their merger in  1943. The Houston Parks and Recreation Department was created in March under the City Manager form of  government, through the consolidation of the Department of Parks, Department of Recreation and the Department of  Golf.

The first Director of the Houston Parks and Recreation Department was C. C. Fleming. Corinne Fonde, who had served  in the capacity of Superintendent of the Recreation Department since its inception, was named Assistant Director.

In 1943, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department had a total of 3,000 acres of parkland, half of which came from  private gifts. The first year budget of the Houston Parks and Recreation Department was $297,972.

1944

The Houston Parks and Recreation Department had three neighborhood swimming pools.

1953

The Houston Parks and Recreation Department had a total of 90 parks.

1956

The Houston Parks and Recreation Department had a total of 109 parks.

1957

Train #982 was dedicated at Hermann Park and the miniature train was established.

The Department had a total of 130 parks or approximately 4,000 acres of parkland; several miles of riding trails in  Hermann Park and Memorial Park; an archery range in Memorial Park; 68 tennis courts; 19 swimming pools, 10 of  which were operated as pay pools (adults paid 25 cents and children paid 15 cents); 9 baseball diamonds; 64 softball  diamonds; 26 recreation centers with year-round supervised recreation programs and 25 schools for the summer  programs; 7 community recreation buildings with part-time recreation programs; a zoo that was open free every day; an  outdoor amphitheater garden club center; and 1 tennis center.

1960

Fonde Recreation Center was built at 110 Sabine Street, in the shadow of downtown.

1966

The new Miller Outdoor Theatre opens.

Public interest in recreational opportunities near the new Lake Houston Dam on the San Jacinto River led to the  opening of Eisenhower Park. Its original 300 acres downstream of the spillway were increased to 682 the following  year.

1969

The hand-carved limestone columns of the original Miller Outdoor Theatre, built in the 1920s, were used in the  construction of the Mecom-Rockwell Fountain on Fannin Street, across from Hermann Park, at a cost of $35,000.

1977

In January 1977, the Houston Parks and Recreation Department purchased the former NASA building at 2999 South  Wayside. For the first time every section of the department could be housed at one location.

O. L. Gragg, an oilman and Palestine, TX resident, donated the 15.67 acres of land surrounding the Parks building with  the provision that five acres be reserved as a green area to be named Gragg Park.

In September 1977, George Lanier resigned as director of the Parks Department, a position he held since August 1974.  Mayor Fred Hofheinz appointed James S. Hart, who had been with the department since 1967, as acting director.

1978

Mayor Jim McConn appointed former Assistant Director James S. Hart as the new Parks and Recreation Director.

The Memorial Tennis Center burned down December 15, 1978, between 5 p.m. and 6 a.m. The center suffered an 80%  loss.

The City of Houston bought the Sharpstown Country Club for $2,160,932. The original golf course purchase consisted  of 140.882 acres, but 7 more acres were added in 1980. The course and its new swimming complex were opened to  the public in 1982.

BACK TO TOP