»» Winter and Spring Recreation Catalog Available Now
»» Lake Houston Wilderness Park
»» Smoking Ban in City of Houston Parks
Closed or Under Repair / Construction
- Brays Bayou Trail, south bank between Scott Street and the Tierwester Pedestrian Bridge - November 2015 – Until Further Notice
Heavy rains have caused the failure of a portion of the Brays Bayou retaining wall and greenway trail. The trail on the south bank between Scott Street westward to the Tierwester Pedestrian Bridge is closed for repair. Signs will divert hikers, joggers, and bicyclists to the north bank. Barriers have been installed to block off the trail. The Harris County Flood Control District is working to repair the damage to the retaining wall, which could take 6 – 12 months. The Houston Parks Board will repair the trail afterward.
- Brock Park Golf Course - June 7, 2016 - Until Further Notice
Beginning Tuesday, June 7, 2016, the Brock Park Golf Course is closed until further notice. Recent weather conditions have damaged two bridges in the park and the course is closed indefinitely for repairs.
- Cullen Park – December 10 – 14, 2018
Cullen Park Phase II section will be closed the week of December 10 through December 14, 2018 for clean-up the grounds, streets and restrooms following Dec 7th rain event. We anticipate reopening on December 15, 2018
- Cullen Park Sprayground – May 2018 – Until Further Notice
The Cullen Park Sprayground is closed due to damage from Hurricane Harvey and is closed until further notice.
- Friendship Pavilion in Hermann Park –September 15, 2015 - Until Further Notice
Closed for repairs until further notice.
- Glass recycling containers have been removed from H.P.A.R.D. parks
Glass recycling containers have been removed from Houston Parks & Recreation Department parks because of safety concerns over broken glass. The receptacles were located at the following facilities:
- TC Jester Park
- Glenbrook Park
- Mason Park
- Sunnyside Park
- Alief Community Center
For more information on the closest glass recycling location to you, visit the Houston Solid Waste Department at: http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/recycling_map.html
- Glenshire Park – October 9, 2017 – Spring 2018
On Monday, October 9th the parking lot at Glenshire Park will close for construction. This construction will only affect the parking lot and the rest of Glenshire Park will remain open to the public. The construction will consist of the demolition of the exiting parking lot and the construction of a new 73 space parking lot with underground detention, walkway connection to existing trail, landscaping and irrigation when the contractor will start demolition of the existing parking lot. The project is expected to be completed in Spring 2018 barring any unforeseen weather delays.
- Heights and White Oak Bayou Trails – February 27 – Until Further Notice
As part of a TxDOT construction project, the Heights and White Oak Bike Trails will experience intermittent closures. For more information on the project and its impact on traffic and bikeways, please consult https://www.houstonbikeways.org/bike-detour-announcements
- Keegan’s Bayou Trail - September 2016 - Until Further Notice
This trail is under construction and is not open to the public. Certain sections received flood damage and will need to be rebuilt.
- Kendall Community Center – September 2017 – Until Further Notice
The Kendall Community Center is currently closed due to damages from Hurricane Harvey. We invite you to visit on of HPARD’s other community centers during this time.
- Memorial Park Green Trail - January 29, 2016 - Until Further Notice
The Green Trail in Memorial Park is closed until further notice due to fallen tree that has damaged a bridge. The Green Trail will remain closed until bridge repairs have been completed.
- Metropolitan Multi-Service Center Swimming Pool – November 28, 2017 - Until Further Notice
The swimming pool at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center is closed until further notice for repairs to the filtration system.
- Municipal Golf – April 19, 2016
Brock Park Golf Course is closed.
Memorial Park is closed on Tuesdays.
Sharpstown Park Golf Course is open as a par 3 course.
- Portions of Milby Park – August 7, 2017 – Until Further Notice
On August 7, 2017, contractors will begin construction work on the Sims Bayou Trail through Milby Park. The project will include expansion of the parking lot and trail construction, beginning west of the parking lot, then moving east to the far end of the park. Construction is expected to last into Fall 2017, depending on weather conditions.
- Sagemont Community Center Gymnasium - October 30, 2017 - Until Further Notice
The gymnasium at the Sagemont Community Center will be closed until further notice for replacement of the floor.