»» Fall Recreation Catalog Available Now
»» Smoking Ban in City of Houston Parks
Closed or Under Repair / Construction
CLOSED OR UNDER REPAIR
- Brays Bayou Trail, south bank between Scott Street and the Tierwester Pedestrian Bridge - November 2015 – Until Further Notice
Heavy rains have caused the failure of a portion of the Brays Bayou retaining wall and greenway trail. The trail on the south bank between Scott Street westward to the Tierwester Pedestrian Bridge is closed for repair. Signs will divert hikers, joggers, and bicyclists to the north bank. Barriers have been installed to block off the trail. The Harris County Flood Control District is working to repair the damage to the retaining wall, which could take 6 – 12 months. The Houston Parks Board will repair the trail afterward.
- Brock Park Golf Course - June 7, 2016 - Until Further Notice
Beginning Tuesday, June 7, 2016, the Brock Park Golf Course is closed until further notice. Recent weather conditions have damaged two bridges in the park and the course is closed indefinitely for repairs.
- Cambridge Village Park/Southwest Police Station - May 2016 - Fall 2017
Cambridge Village Park is currently being redeveloped in conjunction with the new Southwest Police Station Project. A temporary driveway and parking lot for Cambridge Park’s trail and sports fields is currently under construction and is anticipated to be open in July of 2016. The new playground and parking lot are scheduled to open in the fall of 2017.
- Friendship Pavilion in Hermann Park –September 15, 2015 - Until Further Notice
Closed for repairs until further notice.
- Glenshire Park – October 9, 2017 – Spring 2018
On Monday, October 9th the parking lot at Glenshire Park will close for construction. This construction will only affect the parking lot and the rest of Glenshire Park will remain open to the public. The construction will consist of the demolition of the exiting parking lot and the construction of a new 73 space parking lot with underground detention, walkway connection to existing trail, landscaping and irrigation when the contractor will start demolition of the existing parking lot. The project is expected to be completed in Spring 2018 barring any unforeseen weather delays.
- Heights and White Oak Bayou Trails – February 27 – Until Further Notice
As part of a TxDOT construction project, the Heights and White Oak Bike Trails will experience intermittent closures. For more information on the project and its impact on traffic and bikeways, please consult https://www.houstonbikeways.org/bike-detour-announcements
- Keegan’s Bayou Trail - September 2016 - Until Further Notice
This trail is under construction and is not open to the public. Certain sections received flood damage and will need to be rebuilt.
- Mason Park – April 13, 2017 – Spring 2018
Construction has begun at Mason Park to build the new bridge over Bray's Bayou. The custom-designed bridge, which will be 16 feet wide and stretch 485 feet across Brays Bayou, will become an iconic landmark and community meeting place along Brays Bayou Greenway with cables extending from 70-foot tall towers, lighting and plazas with seating at each landing. Construction will be managed by TxDOT and is expected to be complete by spring 2018.
- Memorial Park Green Trail - January 29, 2016 - Until Further Notice
The Green Trail in Memorial Park is closed until further notice due to fallen tree that has damaged a bridge. The Green Trail will remain closed until bridge repairs have been completed.
- Municipal Golf – April 19, 2016
Brock Park Golf Course is closed.
Memorial Park is closed on Tuesdays.
Sharpstown Park Golf Course is open as a par 3 course.
- Portions of Milby Park – August 7, 2017 – Until Further Notice
On August 7, 2017, contractors will begin construction work on the Sims Bayou Trail through Milby Park. The project will include expansion of the parking lot and trail construction, beginning west of the parking lot, then moving east to the far end of the park. Construction is expected to last into Fall 2017, depending on weather conditions.
- Tanglewood Park – July 15, 2016 - Winter 2017, depending on weather conditions
Tanglewood Park will be partially closed from July 15 through Winter 2016/17 for the construction of a dog run renovation, storm drainage, parking lot renovation, landscaping and irrigation, and dugout fencing at the ballfield. The work will be conducted in phases, Phase 1 – dog run and underground detention storage, Phase 2 – storm drainage, Phase 3 – parking lot construction. The trail will remain open during construction.
ACTIVITIES GUIDE & CLASS CATALOG
H.P.A.R.D.’s Winter/Spring Activities Guide & Class Catalog is available online now! Check out the listings for recreation, fitness, and educational opportunities you and your family can take part in!
REQUESTS FOR PUBLIC RECORDs
Houston Parks and Recreation Department
2999 S. Wayside Drive
Houston, TX 77023
Recreation and Wellness
- ADAPTIVE SPORTS AND RECREATION /
METROPOLITAN MULTI-SERVICE CENTER
- ADULT SPORTS/SPORTS LEAGUES AND RECREATION
- AFTER-SCHOOL ACHIEVEMENT PROGRAM (A.S.A.P.)
- AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAM (A.S.E.P.)
- AFTER-SCHOOL MEAL PROGRAM (A.S.M.P.)
- COMMUNITY CENTERS
- FITNESS CENTERS / GYMS
- SENIOR SPORTS AND RECREATION
- TENNIS CENTERS
- YOUTH SPORTS AND RECREATION
Permits and Reservations
- Sep. 6 - HPARD Park Facilities and Venues Operating Schedule Normalizes
- Sep. 5 - HPARD Opens Park Facilities Centers Following Harvey
HPARD Calendar of Events