The Department of Planning and Development regulates land development in Houston and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The city of Houston does not have zoning but development is governed by codes that address how property can be subdivided. The City codes do not address land use.
The Department’s primary function in this role is to review plats for compliance with development codes and recommend action on the plats to the City’s Planning Commission. Plats are submitted to the city every two weeks for consideration by the Commission the following week.
The Department checks subdivision plats for the proper subdivision of land and for adequate street or right-of-way, building lines and for compliance with Chapter 42, the City’s land development ordinance. Development site plans are checked for compliance with regulations that include parking, tree and shrub requirements, setbacks, and access.
Changes to Requirements for Subdivisions, Developments & Platting
The City adopted new requirements for subdivisions, developments and platting with recent amendments to Chapters 10 and 42 of the Code of Ordinances. The changes go into effect on Friday, May 24, 2013. For more information on the phased implementation of certain rules outside of Loop 610, please click here.
- To view the Summary of Amendments Overview, please click here.
- To view the Adopted Ordinance for Chapters 10 and 42, please click here.
- To view the Chapter 42 Ordinance Redline of Changes, please click here.
To learn more about how to preserve your neighborhood’s character with the Special Minimum Lot Size (SMLS) and Special Minimum Building Line (SMBL) protections now available citywide, please click here.
To view the list of upcoming community meetings on SMLS and SMBL, please click here.
For more information, please contact:
Brian J. Crimmins
City of Houston Planning & Development Department
Mechanical Equipment Noise and Garage Screening Amendments
The City is proposing the following amendments to the Construction Code related to mechanical equipment noise and garage screening.
- To view the Summary of Construction Code Amendments, please click here.
- To view the Proposed Construction Code Draft Language, please click here.
- Development Fees
- 2013 Fee Schedule
- Rules for Plat Notification Adopted
- Dedication to the Public of Unobstructed Visibility Easement - Example Form
- Stormwater Detention and Sight Distance Requirements for Plats
- CLARIFICATION - Additional Requirements for Variances & Special Exceptions (August 26, 2008)
- Parks and Open Space Sector Map
- Parks and Open Space Worksheet
- Houston Parks and Open Space Plat Notes
- The Plat Cycle Review Process Diagram
- Vested Right
- Ordinance Notes
- Deadlines for filing deferred plat
- Implementation and clarification of certain
- Chapter 42 procedural requirements
- Residential Buffering Ordinance
- Chapter 42 - Land Development Ordinance (Searchable Code of Ordinances)
- Major Thoroughfare & Freeway Plan (MTFP)
- Minimum Lot Size & Building Line Ordinances
- Additional Land Development Ordinances
- Surveying Requirements for Subdivision Plats
- Harris County Design Standards Manual
- Public Works & Engineering - Infrastructure Design Standards Manual
- Transit Corridor Performance Standards Analysis Form
- Parking Requirements
- Landscape Regulations/Tree Protection
- Parking Ordinance
- Development Site Plan Forms