The Department of Planning and Development regulates land development in Houston and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The city of Houston does not have zoning but development is governed by codes that address how property can be subdivided. The City codes do not address land use.
The Department checks subdivision plats for the proper subdivision of land and for adequate street or right-of-way, building lines and for compliance with Chapter 42, the City’s land development ordinance. Development site plans are checked for compliance with regulations that include parking, tree and shrub requirements, setbacks, and access.
- Subdivision Plats - 611 Walker St., 6th floor
- Process Flow Chart
- Process Chart of the staff perspective
- Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 42)
- Online Plat Submittal (Plat Tracker)
- Ordinance Notes
- Public Hearing Guide
- Variance Guide
- Amending Plat Guide
- Surveying Requirements for Subdivision Plats
- Subdivision Plat Recordation - 611 Walker St., 6th floor
- Site Plan Review - 1002 Washington Ave., 3rd Floor
Located at the Houston Permit Center, 1002 Washington Avenue, the Planning and Development Department Site Plan Review is one of the steps in the building permit process. Plan Analysts review plans for new structures, additions and remodels to ensure compliance with lot size requirements, building setbacks, parking, and landscaping.
- Process Flow Chart (Coming Soon)
- Additional requirements for site plan review:
- Off Street Parking Ordinance – Chapter 26
- Landscape Requirement
- Multifamily Residential Review
- Development Plat Variance Form
- Residential Buffering Ordinance
- Access Agreement Required – Chapter 10.8
- Other Land Development Ordinances
Mechanical Equipment Noise and Garage Screening Proposal
The City is proposing the following amendments to the Construction Code related to mechanical equipment noise and garage screening.
- To view the Summary of Construction Code Amendments, please click here.
- To view the Proposed Construction Code Draft Language, please click here.
- Other Helpful Links
Can't find what you need? If you don't find the information you need or if have questions about the information presented here, please call the Planner of the Day at 713-837-7701. Thank you!