The Department of Planning and Development regulates land development in Houston and within its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The city of Houston does not have zoning but development is governed by codes that address how property can be subdivided. The City codes do not address land use.
The Department checks subdivision plats for the proper subdivision of land and for adequate street or right-of-way, building lines and for compliance with Chapter 42, the City’s land development ordinance. Development site plans are checked for compliance with regulations that include parking, tree and shrub requirements, setbacks, and access.
- The City amended Chapters 42, 33, 39 and 40 for development related items.
Click here to view the ordinance.
- Process Flow Chart
- Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 42)
- Online Plat Submittal (Plat Tracker)
- Subdivision Plat Submittal Requirements
- Subdivision Plat Submittal Policies
- Ordinance Notes
- Public Hearing Guide
- Variance Guide
- Amending Plat Guide
- Surveying Requirements for Subdivision Plats
- Additional Parking Consideration
- Transit Corridor Options
- Street Paving Requirements for Shared Driveways
- Garbage Collection Plan
- Platting Workshop 2015 PSEFI
Site Review - 1002 Washington Ave., 3rd Floor
Located at the Houston Permit Center, 1002 Washington Avenue, the Planning and Development Department Site Plan Review is one of the steps in the building permit process. Plan Analysts review plans for new structures, additions and remodels to ensure compliance with lot size requirements, building setbacks, parking, and landscaping.
- Process Flow Chart
- Additional requirements for site plan review:
- Expedited Plan Review Rules
- Harris County Public Infrastructre Department: http://hcpid.org/permits/plat_welcome.html
- City of Houston Public Works & Engineering Department: Infrastructure Design Standards Manual
If you don't find the information you need or if have questions about the information presented here, please call the Planner of the Day at 832.393.6624. Thank you!
- Home Page
- Complete Streets
- Development Regulations
- Development Reports
- Off-Street Parking Ordinance
- General Plan
- Geographic Data
- Historical Commission
- Historical Preservation
- Historical Preservation Manual
- Major Thoroughfare Plan
- Minimum Lot Size/Building Lines
- Planning Commission
- Plat Tracker
- Prohibited Yard Parking
- Tower Commission
- Transportation Planning
611 Walker Street, 6th Floor
Houston, TX 77002