Under the direction of the Houston Police Department, a third party Public Crime Mapping vendor presents an interactive crime map showing locations of crimes and corresponds with a data table which lists dates, places, and types of crimes for the current period. The Crime Data represents basic/general data of incidents based on the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report coding system. The data may or may not have been screened through the Houston Police Department’s quality control process and therefore may reflect:
- Information not yet verified by further investigation
- Information that may include mechanical or human error
- Preliminary crime classifications that may be changed at a later date based upon further investigation
Neither the City of Houston nor the Houston Police Department guarantee (either express or implied) the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or correct sequencing of the Crime Data. The City of Houston and the Houston Police Department shall have no liability for any error or omission, or for the use of, or the results obtained from the use of the Crime Data. In addition, the City of Houston and the Houston Police Department caution against using the Crime Data to make decisions/comparisons regarding the safety of or the amount of crime occurring in a particular area. When reviewing the Crime Data, the site user should consider that:
- The information represents only police services where a report was made and does not include other calls for police service.
- The information does not reflect or certify "safe" or "unsafe" areas.
- Areas with a high volume of foot traffic, vehicle traffic, and if densely populated may have more reported crimes than other areas. This does not necessarily mean more crime occurs there, but that more crime is reported there.
- Results displayed are not distinguished as attempted or completed crimes.
- Users should not rely on nor make decisions or comparisons based solely on the data offered on this web site; but should conduct additional independent verification and due diligence.
- The information will sometimes reflect where the crime was reported versus where the crime occurred.
The use of the Crime Data indicates the site user's unconditional acceptance of all risks associated with the use of the Crime Data