Volunteer Initiatives Program
Citizens' Police Academy (CPA)
The Houston Citizens’ Police Academy (CPA) was organized in 1989 and offers citizens the opportunity to learn about the internal operations of the Houston Police Department. The Citizens’ Police Academy speakers, (mostly Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice experts in their fields), provide lectures, demonstrations, tours, and hands-on activities for Academy participants.
The overall objective of the Academy is to provide citizens with sound and accurate information about HPD and the criminal justice process so citizens are able to make informed decisions regarding issues / matters involving the police department and/or police activity. Participants will be able to share their experiences and learned information with family, friends, co-workers, and their community to further improve and strengthen community-police relations.
Each week, a different discipline or area of HPD is presented such as: Houston Emergency Center (police dispatch), Bomb Squad, SWAT Detail, Hostage Negotiations, Shoot-Don’t Shoot training exercises, Criminal Prosecutions, Mounted Patrol Division, and Helicopter Division.
Citizens also participate in the department’s Ride-Along program, which allows citizens the opportunity to ride in a police car with a patrol officer.
ACADEMY COST, DATES, AND LOCATION
- Cost: ALL CLASSES ARE FREE!
- Dates: The Citizens’ Police Academy is usually held twice a year and involves a 33-hour block of instruction, consisting of a three-hour class, every Thursday for 10 weeks. The times of the class are usually 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The first day of class is Orientation and the last day is Graduation. We now accept application for Spring and Fall 2017. Fall application deadline no later than Aug. 17, 2017
- Spring Session: March 9th through May 11th
- Fall Session: to be determined (September through November)
- Location: Houston Police Department Academy, 17000 Aldine Westfield 77070 (some sessions are held at various HPD locations such as Hobby Airport)
To become an participant, you must click on the link and complete a Police VIP Application:
- the VIP Application is a fillable form (In order to properly fill out, save and submit the PDF form you must use Adobe Reader or Acrobat 8.0 or greater. You can download the latest Adobe Reader here.) Once the form is filled out it can be submitted by clicking the 'submit' button or by emailing the completed form to email@example.com.
- Please provide a copy of your current driver license. The mailing address is listed below.
- pick one up at HPD Headquarters, 1200 Travis, 21st floor or call 713 308-3200 and request an application be mailed to you (once completed, mail, fax, or deliver application to the VIP Office)
********THIS IS NOT AN APPLICATION TO BECOME A POLICE OFFICER********
Click here to see the exciting opportunities that await you.