POLICE Department

Victim Services Unit - Notice to Adult Victims of Family Violence

Victim Services Unit | Investigation and/or Prosecution | Notice to Adult Victims of Family Violence | Phone Numbers | Questions & Answers | Rights of Crime Victims

It is a crime for any person to cause you any physical injury or harm EVEN IF THAT PERSON IS A MEMBER OR FORMER MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY OR HOUSEHOLD. Please tell the investigating peace officer: If you, your child, or any other household resident has been injured. If you believe you will be in danger after the officer(s) leaves. You have a right to:

  • Ask the local prosecutor to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence.
  • Apply to a court for an order to protect you. To do so, you should consult a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney, or a private attorney.  If a family or household member assaults you and is arrested, you may request that a Magistrate's Order for Emergency Protection be issued. Please inform the investigating officer if you want an order of emergency protection. You need not be present when the order is issued. You cannot be charged a fee by a court in connection with filing, serving, or entering a protective order.

For example, the court can enter an order that:

  • Prohibits the abuser from committing further acts of violence;
  • Prohibits the abuser from threatening, harassing, or contacting you at home;
  • Directs the abuser to leave your household; and
  • Establishes temporary custody of the children or any property.


For assistance regarding family violence, contact the Houston Police Department's Family Violence Unit at 713-308-1100.