POLICE Department

Victim Services Unit - Questions and Answers

Victim Services Unit | Investigation and/or Prosecution | Notice to Adult Victims of Family Violence | Phone Numbers | Questions & Answers | Rights of Crime Victims

Q. How can the Victim Services Unit help crime victims and/or their families?
A. A victim liaison of the Victim Services Unit can assist victims and/or their families by telephone, appointment or walk-in and will provide assistance and referrals based on the specific needs of each situation. He/she can assist the victim and his/her family in applying for Crime Victim’s Compensation and provide advocacy and support while victim is in the criminal justice system.

Q. What is Crime Victims’ Compensation?
A. Texas Crime Victims’ Compensation is a financial assistance program that helps eligible victims with certain expenses related to the crime.

Q. What must a person do to be eligible for Crime Victims’ Compensation?
A. 1. Report the crime to a law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time, but not so late as to interfere with or hamper the investigation and prosecution of the crime.
2. File the application within three years of the date of the crime.
3. Be a United States resident with the crime occurring in Texas or a Texas resident who becomes a victim in a state or country without a compensation program; United States citizenship not required.

Q. What crimes are covered?
A. Types of crimes covered include:

Aggravated Assault
Aggravated Robbery
Child Abuse
Criminal Neglect
Family Violence
Intoxication Manslaughter
Sexual Assault
Other crimes where the victim suffered physical or emotional harm or death.

Q. What type of financial assistance is available?
A. See the following chart:

Child or Dependent Care Counseling Crime related travel
Crime scene clean-up Emergency awards in cases of extreme need Funeral or Burial
Loss of earnings Loss of support Medical
Property seized as evidence Relocation

Q. Who can apply?
A. Applicants include the victim and immediate family members (spouse, children, siblings, step children, parents, grandparents.)

Q. What if I have further questions?
A. For more information, please contact the Victim Services Unit at 713-308-0080 or call the Crime Victim Services Division of the Office of the Attorney General at 1-800-983-9933 or visit their website at http://www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/cvc.shtml.