Solid Waste Management Department
City of Houston Scrap Tire Program FAQ
On October 21, 2015, City Council unanimously approved the Scrap Tire Ordinance due to an immediate need to alleviate the environmental dangers posed by the numerous illegal tire piles within Houston. Reducing and eliminating the illegal dumping of tires will positively affect neighborhoods and city services. The ordinance became effective January 1, 2016.
The Scrap Tire Program was created to establish regulations and procedures for the safe transportation, appropriate storage, and accurate record-keeping and proper disposal of used or scrap tires.Disposal
1. I am a homeowner/renter in Houston. Where can I get rid of my household tires?
Dumps and Abandoned Sites
1. I would like to know about a tire dump in my area. Whom do I contact?
2. Someone has dumped tires on my property (or someone else’s property) without permission. Whom do I need to tell?
1. Where can I find city requirements about scrap tires?
1. How do I register to transport, process, recycle, store, or manage scrap tires in Texas?
2. How long does it take to get registered as a transporter and how long before I can take tires?
3. I am storing fewer than 500 tires on the ground on my property; Is this legal under the new ordinance?
|Scrap Tire Problems
Over 24 million scrap tires are discarded in Texas every year. It costs the City of Houston Solid Waste Management Department $1 million annually to collect and dispose of illegally dumped tires.
Scrap Tires – A Risk to Public Health and the Environment
Scrap tires exposed to the elements can:
How You Can Help Reduce Scrap Tire Problems
Purchase retreaded tires!
Properly maintain tires! This extends wear and increases the chance that they can be retreaded. Some helpful tips are:
For more information on City of Houston Solid Waste Management’s Scrap Tire Program, please call SWD-Tires at (832-393-0460).
Scrap Tire Program
|Scrap Tire Instructions|
|Generator Application - SPANISH|
|Transporter Application - SPANISH|
|Scrap Tire Instructions - SPANISH|
|Scrap Tire Program - SPANISH|
|City Ordinance 2015-1032|