Solid Waste Management Department
- Remove unused drugs from containers.
- Mix with kitty litter and coffee grounds; place in impermeable containers such as a coffee can.
- Place containers in trash, to be collected with your regular garbage.
Before placing in the trash, follow these steps:
- To avoid accidental or intentional misuse of drugs, treat medications (liquids and pills) by adding water and then salt, ashes, dirt, cat litter, coffee grounds, or another undesirable substance.
- Hide all medications in an outer container, such as sealable bag, box or plastic tub to prevent discovery and removal from the trash. Seal the container with strong tape.
- Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
- Dispose of drugs as close to your trash collection day as possible to avoid misuse and/or misdirection.
- Do not conceal discarded drugs in food to prevent consumption by scavenging humans, pets or wildlife.
Complete policy: www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/pdf/prescrip_disposal.pdf.