Volunteer Initiatives Program
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I volunteer with the City of Houston?
- You can volunteer with the city of Houston by clicking on Sign Here to Volunteer graphic to the right
- Or you can click the Act Now link below to visit our Community Opportunities
Does volunteering guarantee me a job with the City of Houston?
- The City of Houston relies on volunteers to assist in various departments and activities. While we hope that there will be many mutually beneficial results in volunteering, we cannot promise permanent employment to anyone. The City of Houston website (www.houstontx.gov/jobs) has job openings available and we encourage interested individuals to explore these opportunities.
Once I finish my application what happens?
- An email that is sent to our office, we normally contact all applicants within 2-3 business days.
- Once our office has contacted the applicant, a volunteer opportunity department liaison will conduct a follow interview. The process takes 5-7 business days and due to the volume of applications, if you do not hear from a liaison please contact the V.I.P. office.
How will I know if I am selected?
- The liaison will contact the applicant and put them in touch with who they will report to volunteer.
What is the VIP Waiver?
- The waiver is a work agreement established by the City for all persons who have been selected to volunteer with the City of Houston.
- This form does not serve as a badging request form which will be discussed to you by your liaisons. Nor does filling out this form guarantee placement in a Volunteer Opportunity.