April 4, 2022
BARC Foundation to Present 5th Annual BARK for BARC Pet Walk
In support of BARC, the City of Houston's Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, the Houston BARC Foundation, will host the 5th Annual BARK for BARC Pet Walk on Saturday, April 9, 2022, at Rice University. This special event brings together animal lovers and their furry family members to “strut their stuff” for the Houston BARC Foundation, the nonprofit organization that supports BARC.
Registration starts at 8:30 a.m., and the walk begins at 9:30 a.m. Participants will meet at the parking lot off Greenbriar St., between University Blvd. and Rice Blvd. Register today: https://e.givesmart.com/events/pvw/.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, our community’s pet population has been directly impacted. While the dedicated team at BARC has collaborated and stepped up to address impacted pet owners through free pet pantries and wellness events, BARC operations have been affected by an ever-growing stray population, staffing concerns, and frequent updates to shelter safety protocols.
With your help, BARC:
- cares for 25,000 to 30,000 animals per year;
- spays/neuters more than 7,200 animals annually;
- accepts every animal that comes through its doors regardless of breed, temperament, health condition, and circumstance - the only city shelter in Houston required by law to do so;
- partners with dozens of animal welfare groups to rescue, transfer, foster, and adopt thousands of animals;
- collaborates with local providers to offer free spay/neuter services in neighborhoods with large stray animal populations through the Healthy Pets Healthy Streets initiative;
- educates the community on the importance of spay/neuter to reduce pet overpopulation and promote pet wellness; and
- provides low-cost spay/neuter services for Houstonians through the “Fixin’ Houston Clinic,” the first of its kind in Texas.
Learn more about this year's BARK for BARC Pet Walk, including fundraising options, on the Houston BARC Foundation's website: https://www.houstonbarcfoundation.org/.
BARC, the City of Houston's Animal Shelter and Adoption Center, takes in more than 25,000 animals annually regardless of behavior, breed, or medical condition. BARC works each day to improve Houstonians and their pets' health and safety by pioneering programs such as low-cost and no-cost spay/neuter services, mobile adoptions, transfer/rescue partnerships, and community outreach.
Through these programs and with community partners' support, BARC's live release rate has continued to improve and reached a historic high of 91.7% in the fiscal year 2020.