A Complete Community is…
The Alief/Westwood Complete Community Kick-Off was held on Tuesday, November 19, 2019, at 6:30 pm at the Elsik Ninth Grade Center located at 6767 S. Dairy Ashford Street. Approximately 50 stakeholders and residents attended and participated in different exercises to create a vision and goals for the Alief and Westwood areas. Attendees also identified the challenges and needs to be addressed in the Alief/Westwood Complete Community Action Plan.
The summary of activities is provided below. The information collected from the meeting will help frame the goals and objectives that will be discussed at the second public meeting.
Thanks to our sponsors for this event:
Mapping Our Community
Participants were asked to identify three items on a map:
- Place a green dot sticker on where you live
- Place a red heart sticker on the place in the neighborhood you love the most
- Place a yellow dot sticker on the place in the neighborhood that needs attention
Future Hopes for Our Community
Facilitators guided participants through a discussion of the following questions:
- What are the strengths of Alief-Westwood that we should build on? What do you love most about your community?
- What are some challenges Alief-Westwood faces? What would you like to change?
- In 10 years when Alief-Westwood is a Complete Community, how would you describe it? What would the community have?
Handouts and Meeting Materials